Breaking Clutch Cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breaking Clutch Cables

I just broke my 4th clutch cable in the 2 years I have owned the bike.
    Each time it breaks just below the button at the handle end of the cable.
    As far as I know the handle and pearch are in good shape and I tend to run the adjustment screw just shy of all the way in.
    What am I doing wrong ?
    Where should I look for problems?

Does it still have the plastic bearing that goes underneath the cable slug in the handle? That helps decrease wear, as does keeping it well greased. I'm still using the original (as far as I know, at least from the 25k mile mark) cable on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
      Does it still have the plastic bearing that goes underneath the cable slug in the handle? That helps decrease wear, as does keeping it well greased.
      + 1 This, as the lever goes in and out, the cable end bearing in the lever needs to rotate freely, if it can't rotate the cable must bend, it will break very soon if it has to bend every time the level is pulled. Grease helps, but if the lever or perch is badly worn it won't help. If it's all working correctly the cables should last many years.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

No no plastic slug in the handle. .
        Would a new lever have one or can it be obtained separately?

Comment

I think a new OEM lever might have one (I'm not positive), and I have heard they're not available by themselves. You might want to check the parts diagram on bikebandit or partshark to see.

Comment

Check the adjustment barrel at the perch, my brother's had worn to a sharp edge that was literally shaving the cable every time he depressed lever. Give it a good once over.

Comment

First be sure to get an OEM cable not motion pro. Then I wind my adjustment closer to out than in. This decreases the angle that the cable moves through when the lever is pulled and the amount that it drags on the housing. I also keep it covered in grease at that point.
              1979 GS750E

Comment

I am not positive but I believe a OEM cable comes with the plastic sleeve on the barrel that goes in the handle.
                1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
                83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                  I am not positive but I believe a OEM cable comes with the plastic sleeve on the barrel that goes in the handle.
                  Yes, it comes with the cable.

Also, order up a new OEM lever along with your new OEM cable -- the hole wears to an egg shape eventually, and this will catch the barrel and bend it back and forth.

Install with a wee dab of waterproof grease on the pivoting bits.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

OK took the whole works to work today the adjuster had a sharp edge that I cut back and smoothed out. The lever recess was badly worn so I bored it out oversize and made up and fit a brass bushing to take up the slack around the cable end.
                    All back on the bike with plenty of grease , unfortunately with the spare motion pro cable I already had. See how long this lasts!
                    Will order a new OEM cable soon.
                    Thanks as always for your good advice.

Comment

I went out and checked mine
                      Sure enough the plastic bearing is nearing the end of it life and binding a bit.

Its more mashed than worn. Cable has no damage and the hole in the lever looks perfectly round. Now for a replacement bushing.

Everyone should now go to their bike and check this.

Comment

Ok so I have terrific pictures of this but am experiencing technical difficulties caused mostly by molbdenum disulfide grease.

The cable I am lookin at has a 6 mm dia. barrel. It is sleeved with a nylon-ish bit that is about 2 mm in thickness.

If the lever abd cable barrel looks ok then you should be able to go to a plumbing supply place and get some teflon tubing in order to fabricate a make-do bushing.

Comment

Working...
                        X