no horn/left handle control replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no horn/left handle control replacement

!982 GS850gl runs great but horn was not working. I purchased a new horn thinking this would be an easy fix...one mounting bolt, 2 connectors and done. After installing the new horn I still had no noise. After taking apart the control assy to clean the contacts for the horn (I'll never do that again) the horn still does not work. When I push down on the horn button I get nothing and just as I let up I get just a tiny little beep then nothing.

I have traced the wires as best I can and finally broke down and ordered an entire new left handle control to the tune of $135.00. I guess I need to remove the gas tank to access the connector to hook up the new control. Any hints or advise would be appreciated. Just two bolts in the back, the prime line, main fuel line and vent to remove?

Any advise is appreciated...not too mechanical and new to motorcycling but loving it.

I have a perfect control I would have sold you for way less. Next time consider posting on the Parts Wanted forum.

Removing the tank is easy.

Make sure petcock is not on Prime

Remove anchor bolts in back

Lift up tank and remove main fuel line (fat tube) and skinny vacuum line from the petcock

Disconnect fuel sender unit electrical plug

Pull tank back and up to remove

The fuel tank sender unit has a drain tube that pulls out with the tank

Reverse procedure to install
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

my horn doesnt work either, havent gotten around to find the smoking gun. is this a really common issue?

Comment

Don't you just love that switch. Loose any springs or ball bearings? I did!

cg
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g
        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Skylar View Post
          my horn doesnt work either, havent gotten around to find the smoking gun. is this a really common issue?
          Not particularly that I've seen. It's usually going to be one of three things; corroded connectors on the horn, bad horn, or bad button. Got a multitester? If you don't go buy one: one of the best $10-20 investments you'll make. Have someone try the horn out while you test for voltage at the horn terminals.

Comment

The stock horn can be "tuned" by adjusting the center nut on the horn itself. Make sure you're getting power to the horn, if you are, try turning the small center nut on the horn, perhaps someone has messed with it in the past and knocked it out of whack.

If you really want a real seriously loud horn, go to Harbor Freight and get a WOLO Bad Boy. These horns are LOUD !!!!!!! Do a search with horn in the title and there's a bunch of threads about it. Here's the one on my 750.

Larry D
            1980 GS450S
            1981 GS450S
            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
              The stock horn can be "tuned" by adjusting the center nut on the horn itself. Make sure you're getting power to the horn, if you are, try turning the small center nut on the horn, perhaps someone has messed with it in the past and knocked it out of whack.

If you really want a real seriously loud horn, go to Harbor Freight and get a WOLO Bad Boy. These horns are LOUD !!!!!!! Do a search with horn in the title and there's a bunch of threads about it. Here's the one on my 750.

I agree!!!

There's no replacement for a good ol' compressor!

Here's mine.....

It's NOT just zip-tied either, I actually made a small bracket and bolted it to the frame.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
                I agree!!!

There's no replacement for a good ol' compressor!

Here's mine.....

It's NOT just zip-tied either, I actually made a small bracket and bolted it to the frame.
                Very nice, but I hope you have a good reason for that hose clamp on the left fork tube!
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. jsf,

You'll find lots of GS850G lovin' on my little website. Let me share some.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

A tip. Not familiar w/your bike, but most Japanese horn circuits provide power to horn from harness & circuit is completed when button is depressed & ground provided.... In cases where switch body is metal, ground is simply switch body to bars. grab a piece of wire & jump from cyl/chasis to a switch screw & try... If no go, back track, verify power to both sides of horn, then power to sw.(Green) & ground from sw.(BK/Y) luck G

Comment

When i first got my gs250 the control blocks were shot. I could have tried to fix it or buy another one of the same make, but i ended up buying a switchblock pair from a gs500 and *touchwood* i haven't had a problem since.

Comment

Working...
                      X