Chain clicking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain clicking

I was working on putting the back end all back together tonight when I noticed that the chain was clicking when it was going around the rear sprocket. Also noticed that the tension would change as it went around.

Now I realize that normally, all signs point to new chain/sprockets BUT before I took everything apart, it seemed to be just fine. No noise, no binding.

Please tell me I just didn't get everything back together correctly and I don't have to go drop MORE money.

Originally posted by Mike View Post

Also noticed that the tension would change as it went around.
    This means you need a chain and BOTH sprockets.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      This means you need a chain and BOTH sprockets.
      I had a feeling

Comment

I had a feeling

Check your rear axle alignment and dont go by the marks.
        this can also be exacerbated by the acrrier not being fully seated in the cush rubbers.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
          Check your rear axle alignment and dont go by the marks.
          this can also be exacerbated by the acrrier not being fully seated in the cush rubbers.
          I'm going to take the chain off tonight and give it a good scrubbing and greasing and redo the back end in one last attempt before dropping $150 to fix it.

Comment

I found this out last year when I was adjusting the chain on my GSXR but you need to tighten the chain in the "Tight spot". I don't know if this is given knowledge when tightening chains or not. Sorry if it is.
            1979 GS850G
            2004 SV650N track bike
            2005 TT-R125 pit bike
            LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Hmmm... I didn't think there was supposed to be a "tight spot".

$150? I just replaced my chain/sprockets for $107; and that was with an x-ring chain. Check eBay and see if you can find a NEW rear sprocket, as that seems to be where one can save some scratch. Like this one:

Comment

IIRC, when you spin the rear wheel around and check for chain tightness every few 6-8 inches of chain travel you will come upon a point when the chain will tighten up some. I found this to be a noticeable difference.

Problem I had was when I started out on the bike for the first ride of the day with the chain "cold" it would run/sound fine. But after 15-20-30 mins of riding I would hear and almost feel like the there was a slight "vibration" coming from the chain, front, rear sprocket area. I was told about this "tight spot" and after adjusting the tension in this spot the sound/vibration went away. It's been good since.

my 2 cents.
                1979 GS850G
                2004 SV650N track bike
                2005 TT-R125 pit bike
                LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
                  Hmmm... I didn't think there was supposed to be a "tight spot".

$150? I just replaced my chain/sprockets for $107; and that was with an x-ring chain. Check eBay and see if you can find a NEW rear sprocket, as that seems to be where one can save some scratch. Like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rear-...Q5fAccessories
                  From Z1: $90 for the chain, $12 for the front sprocket, $30.46 for the rear, plus about $15 in shipping

From Cycle Recycle: $110 for the chain, $15 for the front, $33 for the rear, no shipping and I can have it right away

With that ebay one, it's $25 with shipping and who knows when it'll come in.

Comment

Plus, I don't mind paying a little bit more to support Cycle Recycle. Nothing exorbitant, but $10-$20, IMO is worth it.

Comment

Yeah, 20% or so is where I usually draw my "buy local" line. I love to support the local folks, but there aren't very many; and if they can't even come close...

Since CRC2 is local to you you have the time factor as well. If I want to buy anything locally I'm pretty much waiting anyway so THEY can get it shipped.

Comment

Originally posted by tas850g View Post
                        IIRC, when you spin the rear wheel around and check for chain tightness every few 6-8 inches of chain travel you will come upon a point when the chain will tighten up some. I found this to be a noticeable difference.

Problem I had was when I started out on the bike for the first ride of the day with the chain "cold" it would run/sound fine. But after 15-20-30 mins of riding I would hear and almost feel like the there was a slight "vibration" coming from the chain, front, rear sprocket area. I was told about this "tight spot" and after adjusting the tension in this spot the sound/vibration went away. It's been good since.

my 2 cents.
                        I'm curious if there's any other input on this, because it doesn't seem right, but I'm still new at bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
                          Yeah, 20% or so is where I usually draw my "buy local" line. I love to support the local folks, but there aren't very many; and if they can't even come close...

Since CRC2 is local to you you have the time factor as well. If I want to buy anything locally I'm pretty much waiting anyway so THEY can get it shipped.
                          The main guy at CRC2 is pretty much a walking encyclopedia of knowledge.

Comment

The main guy at CRC2 is pretty much a walking encyclopedia of knowledge.
                            Yeah, he is. If you ever go down there, be prepared to wait, it's usually packed with people looking for parts. He's kinda like the soup nazi from Seinfield......It took a few trips down there for me to figure out how to talk to him without ****ing him off.

Your chain should rotate smoothly with no tight spots....If you look very closely at the old sprockets and chain, you can see where it has been wearing. When I converted my chain to a 530 chain, I got it from Z1. CALL them and talk to Jeff, he's a member here and is very knowledgable. It may cost a few dollars more, but, when you get your chain and sprockets it's going to be right.
                            Larry D
                            1980 GS450S
                            1981 GS450S
                            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                              It took a few trips down there for me to figure out how to talk to him without ****ing him off.
                              Ha, I've noticed that in overhearing his conversations with other people. I don't think it's so much that he's a jerk, just that he has zero desire to waste time and wants to get people in and out of there as quick as possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X