Chain clicking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike View Post
    Ha, I've noticed that in overhearing his conversations with other people. I don't think it's so much that he's a jerk, just that he has zero desire to waste time and wants to get people in and out of there as quick as possible.
    Yep, I think you're right. I have been in there before when it's just him and I and he's actually quite a nice guy.....and a wealth of knowledge.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by tas850g View Post
      IIRC, when you spin the rear wheel around and check for chain tightness every few 6-8 inches of chain travel you will come upon a point when the chain will tighten up some. I found this to be a noticeable difference.
      When they get to this point they should be replaced. As with tires, pushing your luck is quite dangerous.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Scrubbed the chain with a wire brush and WD40 and greased it up. It's definitely better, it's not clicking, but it's still tighter in some spots than others. Since I can't get a new chain until Saturday at the earliest, I figure I might as well keep trying on this one.

Anything else I can do or soak it in overnight to loosen it up at all?

Comment

check the teeth on your sprocket, you may have put it on the worn side. if the chain has a master link you might double check that its worn side in, normally it dont make a difference but ocasionally it does with an old chain. (edit) at least it did on my honda shadow, anyways new is better.

also the chain should be warm, 10 min ride warm, when it is lubed
          Last edited by Guest; 03-24-2011, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by whiterabbitt View Post
            check the teeth on your sprocket, you may have put it on the worn side. if the chain has a master link you might double check that its worn side in, normally it dont make a difference but ocasionally it does with an old chain.
            I never took it completely off for it to get flipped around like that

Comment

find the tight spot and adjust to that...... find the loosest spot and check the difference. unless it's super loose then use it as it is. if it's adjusted to the tight spot then it should sound and feel alright but will just wear a lil quicker than if everything were in better condition.... keep an eye on it and replace when it gets too bad. you'll be surprised how long you can use it in this condition - commuting 12 months of the year in the uk and having perfect chain n sprockets never happens.. you learn to live with tight spots as long as the loose spot isnt that far away

Comment

Had this problem last year.

Tightening it in the tight spot with weight on the bike has worked but it stretches the chain allot quicker. Seems like I was always adjusting it.
                Its not perfect and will slacken as you drive, wear out swing arm bushing, axle bearings... just from the repeated on/off load.

I'm thinking of trying to remove the sprocket and moving it and trying. Just to see if there is a balanced spot. All while pricing new parts.
                Stephen.
                1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
                1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                GS twin wiki

Comment

Working...
                X