problems changing oil filter. and oil pan bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problems changing oil filter. and oil pan bolt

hello i have a 85 gs700es. and i am having problems getting the cover to the oil filter of. the one nut just keeps turning and wont come lose. does anyone have any suggestions. also i was wondering if anyone knows the cheapest plase to get the bolt for the oil pan to cause last time i changed the oil i noticed its stripped bad and id like to replace it. any suggestions would be awsome

is it loose enough to use a flat screwdriver to apply pressure?
    If its loose by a few just an mm clearance you can take rabbit wire and pull it outward while wrenching.

Comment

I'm willing to bet its a stud in there as I have the same. Use a flat head and apply upward pressure on it and a vice to grip the bolt and turn it.

You can get a +1 size oil pan bolt from autozone for dirt cheap. DO NOT try to jerry rig it as the PO did to mine and I thought it was ok. If you think about it you may search for a story called oiled tires or something like that and see it could nearly cost you your life.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. rathgar666,

You may want to order up some new studs and acorn nuts for the oil filter cover from one of our favorite online Suzuki OEM vendors (CLICK HERE for more info). I keep some spares around just in case I strip one. +1 on the oversized, self-tapping oil pan bolt. You can find them at any auto parts store. Now share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I got new oil bolts at the local suzuki dealership.

They only cost maybe $3-6 i believe.
          (for all 3)

It was the Suzuki brand....very nice little bolts.

-----------

Getting the old ones out were easy.
          Getting the new ones in....pretty easy too.

BE VERY CAREFUL when tightening the new studs/bolts into the block!

You cannot simply use vise grip to tighten them, the new threads will warp VERY easily!
          (i was using several layers of electrical tape over the threads as I gripped it with the pliers.....but it STILL managed to slightly knick the threads!)

So yeah....you should probably come up with a better plan than I did,

Get new nuts too obviously.....cause your old ones are most likely shot or cross-threaded or something, haha.
          (you can get em at lowes or any hardware store......they are standard MM nuts.)

Comment

Buy or find one non-acorn nut of the right size, pitch and thread, double it up with the acorn nut, lock them together and turn the stud into the block. Unlock the nuts and you're done, no thread damage.

Comment

Turn the nut with an open-end wrench. Can you see if the stud is turning or does the nut spin on the stud? I had the latter problem. The threads on the end of the stud were stripped.

If this is the problem you are having then grip the nut with a vise grip and pull it off. Mine actually would spin off. It just wouldn't tighten.

Once you get the nut off, take the filter cover off and then use the vise grip to remove the defective stud.

Go to the Suzuki dealer and get a new stud (actually get an extra, they are cheap). I'd also get some new nuts. That should solve the problem if the threads on the end of the stud are stripped.

Comment

Working...
              X