Chain and sprockets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain and sprockets

I have a 1983 gs450l. I was looking to replace the chain and sprockets. I don't know what amount of teeth are on the stock sprockets. Just looking to get the same ride out of the bike. I know the chain i a 530 with 102 links but i was thinking of buying a 100 link chain.

If you like the way it rides now, just count the teeth on the sprockets and order the same thing.

Why would you think you should replace your 102 link chain with a 100 link chain?

The chart on BassCliff's site here:

Says your bike came stock with a 16 tooth front, 42 tooth rear, and a 530x102 chain.

Comment

Thanks, I was wondering the amount of teeth on the sprockets. And for the chain the 100 link one is cheaper. and a rear sprocket with 50 teeth is cheaper too. I am on a budget. thats at Dennis kirk site. Also i ride with two people often and was wondering if a different sized chain or sprockets could help with that? Since i am replacing them.
      Last edited by Guest; 03-23-2011, 07:07 PM.

Comment

You can get more power at the rear wheel by upping the size of the rear sprocket or dropping the size of the front sprocket. Keep in mind that your motor will also spin faster at speed. Not that this is a problem unless it annoys you.

If you want to play with different gearings, it's easier to replace the front sprocket and it has less effect on your chain length. Dropping one tooth in front is approximately equivalent to adding three in back. You might have to consider clearance as well - not sure that a 50 will fit.

Economy is not a reason to get a shorter chain. There's a reason Suzuki picked 102 with those gears and not 100. Remember that your current chain has probably stretched. If you change your sprocket sizes you may need to make an adjustment. Dennis Kirk is from what I understand a very good vendor, but are not always the cheapest. They say they match prices if you can find something for less elsewhere. Personally I got my chain and front sprocket from PowerSport Superstore, and found someone selling a rear on eBay for a song. $107 total for X-ring chain and both sprockets.

Comment

The bike has 15,210 miles on it. I think i will go with the stock ratios then, do not want to hurt the motor changing that.

Comment

at powersportsuperstore.com:

JTF513.16 = $11.80
            JTR814.42 = $28.94
            EK 530SRX 102 links = $84.37

Total $125.11

They have free shipping over $100 - though it's like Amazon, if you take the free shipping it takes them 2-4 days extra to ship it. Their web site kinda sucks and you can't just plug in your model and see what's for it. So you need to know what you're looking for. If you want a roller chain you'll have to find the part #. You can check out their facebook page too and sometimes they post coupon codes for 5% off or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Tak View Post
              The bike has 15,210 miles on it. I think i will go with the stock ratios then, do not want to hurt the motor changing that.
              That's nothing. Try stock and if you want more power try a 15T up front. Count what you have and make sure it's stock and that you won't be altering your current ratio unintentionally.

Comment

Yes, I will count them but, not at this second. i am not near the bike now. Snow kept it in the garage. Thanks for the new site and looking it up. Also I need a new rear tire its a 120/90-16. I found a Kenda rear K657 Challenger for 51.99 plus 5 for tire fee.

Comment

I can't imagine going from a 42 to a 50. Especially with any kind of highway riding

Comment

no doubt. as for economy, I searched a bit and managed to get both sprockets and chain for less than $80. granted the chain was 10 links too long but a grinder and center punch fixed that. its better to get a chain too long than one not long enough.

Comment

Originally posted by whiterabbitt View Post
                      no doubt. as for economy, I searched a bit and managed to get both sprockets and chain for less than $80. granted the chain was 10 links too long but a grinder and center punch fixed that. its better to get a chain too long than one not long enough.
                      That couldn't have been an o-ring chain

Comment

but it is, just not some high dollar racing chain. I think I paid $35 for the chain on clearance.

Comment

Originally posted by whiterabbitt View Post
                          but it is, just not some high dollar racing chain. I think I paid $35 for the chain on clearance.
                          don't suppose you have a link, do you?

Comment

I think it was parts unlimited that had it.

Comment

Working...
                            X