Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drive chain sprocket 630 to 530 questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drive chain sprocket 630 to 530 questions.

Hi everyone, I need to replace a drive chain on my 82 GS 750E, of course I will replace sprockets as well, and I am going to convert to 530. My stock gearing is 15/41 and a 96 link 630 chain after calculations I know i need 18/49 and a 115L 530 chain/sprockets and a 6mm washer on the front one.
    This is bike is mainly a commuter so i'd like to get a few more MPG so i think 48t rear sprocket would be better but can i go say 46t or will i run into clearance issues.
    Also the chain itself i know what the difference between them is how x or w ring is the best but is it really 2x better then regular roller chain. I have no problem lubing it every two weeks its just i can get a set of new sprockets and a DID or RK roller chain for less than x-ring chain and just replace them as they wear.
    Thanks to all in advance.
    Standard
    0.00%
    O-ring
    14.29%
    X-ring
    85.71%

I just ordered my chain and preferred going with the x-ring due to the maintenance requirements. But, more educated people than me will have better opinions.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I'm pretty sure you don't mean 115 links, but 116 maybe? Chains are only available in even # links (both inner and outer count, can't mate like links).

All sorts of opinions on chain types. O-ring and X-ring chains are "permanently" sealed and internally lubricated. That does NOT mean that they don't need care. What you're caring for is the rings (which hold the lubricant in) and not the chain. The only difference between O-ring and X-ring chains is the shape of the ring they use to seal the lube in. Generally X-rings are under less pressure and thus rob less power from the motor. Additionally, think about a squeezed |O| vs. a squeezed |X|. The O has "ditches" on both sides which can trap dirt - that trapped dirt can eventually sand away the sealing power of the O-ring. Once the internal lubrication lets go there's no putting it back.

Roller chains don't have squeezed rings and may encounter less friction altogether. Because they're not permanently internally lubricated they tend not to last as long. If you don't mind changing your chain and sprockets twice as often (at the benefit of reduced chain cost) that may be fine with you. You're also not likely to find a chain mfg. who would recommend a non-sealed chain for use on a 750 street bike.

Comment

Working...
      X