I dun goofed --- HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dun goofed --- HELP!

So if you're not aware im currently in the middle of my first ever project and had no experience fixing up motorcycle before this, so these mistakes i now realize are awful mistakes to make but i just hope you understand.

1) i rotated the valves while doing a valve clearance with no shims in them, and now there are tiny bits of metal filings in there as well as the edges of the cam shaft lobes are a little scraped and worn... ****.

2) while doing an oil change it all went smooth until i was re tightening the drain plug and right when it was getting tight it went loose, i think some of the threading may have broken, and i think it belongs to the engine not the plug

Like I said it is my first time doing mechanical work on a bike and I feel like an idiot. What should I do?

Im going to start a project thread with pics tommorow.

-Taylor

I feel your pain as I've made both those mistakes before. Yep, never rotate the engine without shims. I think as long as you get those metal shaving cleaned out of there, you should be ok. But don't do that again. As far as the oil drain plug, you'll probably have to put in a threaded insert to fix it. Whenever I tighten things down that has aluminum threads, I either use a torque wrench and tighten to the specified setting, or I grip the ratchet wrench right near the end where the socket is attached. That way, you're unable to torque it too tightly. Good luck with it. The world is not over. Just be sure to learn from your mistakes.
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Thanks ddaniels

Thanks for the quick reply, i thought i was going to have to replace the whole crankshaft as well as the bottom engine cover. You're a life saver.

Comment

You can go to your local auto parts store and get a self threading oversize metric oil drain plug. Take the old one with you to make sure they give you the right size.

Comment

Plug is an easy fix do the oversixe-self thread thing.

I do think that the door in the shavings is the cam lobe not the tip of the valve. If this is true than the cams wear on that point is nullified by the shim spreading the load across it`s area.

Comment

Go to Auto Zone and ask for PLUS 1 size drain plug..take the plug from the bike with you.. The PLUS 1 basically screws in and makes new threads as it goes in..You dont need to super tighten the drain plug..just be sure its tight.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

and has the copper washer, wouldnt want it to leak now.

Comment

Good bit of info on the oversized plug. I did not know about it.
                Current Bikes:
                2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                  Good bit of info on the oversized plug. I did not know about it.
                  Yeah, just be prepared to pay for it.

It's a whopping $2.25 or so.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Look for a Motormite PN 65217 Should work. The thread is different but it will work because you are rt threading it anyway.. Put some grease on it and turn it in 1/4 turn & back out turn in and back out and so on...

Comment

Working...
                    X