Battery issues???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery issues???

I went to start my bike 2 days ago and it just clicked refused to start. i loosened the negative cable and moved it around and finally got it to start. While i was driving it drove very sporatic for about 5 minutes and then it ran fine. Yesterday i went to ride and the battery was dead. I charged the battery and when i went to ride the bike i had the same issue as before loosed the negative cable move it around and get it to start. do i need a new battery or is there something else i need to look at. I've previously replaced the stator and the rectifier. is there anything else i need to change. I have a 82 GS550L with 24958 miles

You might but when was the last time you cleaned off the cables? I'd probably take a wire brush to them first and scrape off any old corrosion.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Agree with Cowboy,clean connections at both ends.If your charging system is still up to snuff that would leave a weak or dying battery if it continues to give you trouble. Batteries should be kept on a trickle charger during off season.
      http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...00080021-1.jpg
      1978 GS1000C
      1979 GS1000E
      1980 GS1000E
      2004 Roadstar

Comment

Hi,

Check and clean both ends of that ground strap on the negative terminal of the battery. The other end is probably bolted to the bottom of the engine case. Clean all of the electrical connections on the entire wiring harness, especially the charging system connections (stator, r/r, battery, fusebox, solenoid,etc). To be sure, take your battery to the auto parts store and have it tested.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Test your battery two ways

1. Using a VOM, test the resting charge - it should be 12.8V or more. Now, leave the VOM hooked up, turn the bike on and push the starter button. Does the voltage drop real low (below 10V)?

2. Pull the caps and push the starter button. Do any of the cells fizz like champagne? If yes, it's shorted out
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
          X