Has anybody else seen this before?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anybody else seen this before?

In my relatively few years of wrenching on bikes (both KZ and GS), I have never seen this before:

Yes, it's a 29.5 mm diameter, so it's a GS shim, and it's accurately marked, too.

I have always seen similarly-sized shims marked as 2.75x.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Hi,

I've never seen one so marked. I wonder who the manufacturer was? With shims in .025 increments we could really dial in our valve clearances. Wouldn't that be cool?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
      Hi,

With shims in .025 increments we could really dial in our valve clearances. Wouldn't that be cool?
      Especially if the actual thickness matched what was marked on the shim.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
        I've never seen one so marked. I wonder who the manufacturer was?
        With shims in .025 increments we could really dial in our valve clearances. Wouldn't that be cool?
        Not sure who the manufacturer was, but it's the correct size.

Oh, we already have shims in .025 increments.

They are called "X" shims. The only problem is that you can't order them, you have to luck into them like I just did.
        There is this one that is strangely marked, and a 2.60x that came in the head I just got from Dogma.

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Especially if the actual thickness matched what was marked on the shim.
        Yes, it does. Depending on how tightly I squeeze the caliper, I can get it to read from 2.77 to 2.78.
        sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

The shims in my ZRX come in increments as such. As do the ones for most of the Kaws based on that design (ZX11, ZZR, etc) I dunno for sure but I wonder if later models started using more exact shimming because the tolerances got tighter. Just a guess...

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Yes, it does. Depending on how tightly I squeeze the caliper, I can get it to read from 2.77 to 2.78.
            And if you measured the other side it might be 2.78 to 2.79, and in the center you might come up with 2.75 or 2.76.

Good thing they don't need to be exactly right to run well.

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
            The shims in my ZRX come in increments as such. As do the ones for most of the Kaws based on that design (ZX11, ZZR, etc) I dunno for sure but I wonder if later models started using more exact shimming because the tolerances got tighter. Just a guess...
            That may be it, I may not have done valve clearances on any shim motors newer than 1981... At least not when I had a micrometer handy.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Hi guys, I have a number of shims with this type of designation, I believe Suzuki is using this instead of "x" these days. At least the first place I saw this was at a Suzuki Dealer, not that I go there that often. Regards, Ray
              "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
              GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
              1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
              1979 GS1000SN The new hope
              1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostgs1 View Post
                Hi guys, I have a number of shims with this type of designation, I believe Suzuki is using this instead of "x" these days. At least the first place I saw this was at a Suzuki Dealer, not that I go there that often. Regards, Ray
                Well, this came out of an '83 engine, and with the condition of the gaskets, we had no reason to believe that it had ever been opened before.

I also found it interesting that it used the comma, instead of a period. That is more common in Europe, not here.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

I've seen factory shims in newer bikes (just the GS500 these days) marked 2.78, 2.82, and so on, but I've never seen one marked to three digits. 1/1000mm is pretty dang small...

Some of the factory shims in my DL1000 are also marked in oddball increments like 2.89, 2.72, etc., but still only to two digits. Replacement and aftermarket shims are all in .05mm increments. (These are small 9.48mm diameter shims that ride under the buckets).

I've seen both commas and periods used as decimal points.

As noted, the oddball shims are only used at the factory, and are not sold. No reason not to keep using them, of course.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I’ve seen shims like that one with 4 digits and a period but not a comma.

Comment

If it was 29.0mm in diameter, I'd think it was a BMW shim.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                        Nope, I measured it at 29.47.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                          Or an old Kwacker or Yamma (or is it honduh?) shim

Comment

The Rotax singles in the BMW F650 use suzuki size shims...if it is continental in origin it could be from there.

Comment

All the speculation of different manufacturers is interesting, but I will repeat what I said in post #8:
                              Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              Well, this came out of an '83 engine, and with the condition of the gaskets, we had no reason to believe that it had ever been opened before.

I just realized, though, that I never did specify that this is from a SUZUKI engine, and an 850 at that.

Just going on the premise that this is a Suzuki forum, you know.

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                              X