Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help getting my 1980 GS 750 running

Hi Y'all,
    My buddy gave me this 1980 Suzuki GS750 motorcycle in the pictures below.
    I know next to nothing about working on them, but want to learn.
    My question is, where's the best place to start on this thing?
    Before he gave it to me, it had been sitting in a barn for 10+ years.
    It came to him in the same condition I got it, so neither of us know what it really needs to get running.
    Is there a system of checks to go through when you get a bike like this?
    I do know it is missing the seat, keys, and title.

Any help, resources and/or ideas on where to get started would really be appreciated.
    Like I said, I want to learn how to work on the bike, so if/when it breaks down on the road, I know how to fix it.
    Thanks.
    Matt in Portland, OR

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. matteapolis,

Let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

The first thing I'd start looking for is the airboxes, one that attaches to the carbs and the other one is the air filter box.

Use the carb cleaning tutorial on the main page of this site and get those carbs sparkling clean with new orings. Get a new valve cover gasket and adjust those valves too. After you get it running, do electrical check using the Stator Papers.

The best thing you can do right now is spend a few days reading and using the search feature to educate yourself about GS bikes. This site is here so folks like yourself can learn all about GS's and to be able to keep up on the required maintenance.
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Ok, a belated thanks to the 2 guys' help below.
        It's finally getting nice in Portland, and I'm finished with school, so my schedule's wide open to get this bike running.

Can someone help me with a link to a free pdf for a manual of this bike ('80 gs750). I would really appreciate it.

I want to replace the spark plugs, oil, air filters, battery, etc. but want to make sure I'm using the right stuff.

Also, if there is a good how to on working on the brakes, I could use that. Mine are slightly seized up.

I'm sure there's other things I will run into, but for now that's a good start.
        Thanks for everyone's help.
        Matt

Comment

Bikecliffs web site has service manuals listed. Follow the links on his welcome and you will find them.
          Good luck
          Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
          https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

Matt

Take a few hours and read thru the articles on BassCliffs site, which will clue you in to common problems. But, start with the 10 Things in the megawelcome

Brakes, expect to take everything completely apart to see what you've got going on iin there. 10 years in an barn? Post up a pic of what you find inside your calipers
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

HI.

Stopping it is the least of your repair issues.

The airbox, electrics and getting the bike running is your first port of calls. Carb cleaning, tank sorting and by that time you'll be ready for brake sorting.
              A fresh set of rubbers and you'll be good to go......

Comment

Fuel source

I have the same bike. They are great bikes and have very good engines. Just wish it had a 6th gear. Besure to check the tank for rust and make sure the petcock is not clogged. The the tank has rust you can find a used tank on ebay or buy a coating to coat the inside of the tank. I would lean towards a replacement tank if one is needed.

Comment

Working...
                X