82 gs850gl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 gs850gl

i have a wiring short in the stop/turn/horn curcuit. it usually only happens in the spring after first start. i start to look for it and it fixes itself. any ideas?

Originally posted by isgood View Post
    i have a wiring short in the stop/turn/horn curcuit. it usually only happens in the spring after first start. i start to look for it and it fixes itself. any ideas?
    Disconnect the horn wires and wait for summer! How many years has this been happenning?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Has happened 3 springs in a row. The multi switch was changed (had green in it), i undid all connections related to circuit to no avail. Thought the problem was in the fuse holder. Ran ohms checks on all. Then the prob just stops. First time it happened was after a careful jump start. Today got it started went for a ride and then Poof no turn/brake/stop.

Comment

Originally posted by isgood View Post
        Has happened 3 springs in a row. The multi switch was changed (had green in it), i undid all connections related to circuit to no avail. Thought the problem was in the fuse holder. Ran ohms checks on all. Then the prob just stops. First time it happened was after a careful jump start. Today got it started went for a ride and then Poof no turn/brake/stop.
        Does fuse for that circuit blow, or do you just lose power thru it? I suspected the horn cuz it gets plus power all the time and grounds out thru button into harness. Was your replacement switch a direct plug-in or did you have to dice and splice?
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

the circuit stays live untill fuse blows.the new switch was direct fit. cheap from dealer. suspected the fuse block so i disconnected it first. used power probe on for testing. block was ok. undid everthing else in the circuit and stilll dead short. is there anything in the charging system that could get me. i even undid the ignition switch to no avail. (and the horn, whats left of it unhooked long ago). undid harness from chassis and did the wiggle test, nothing. i will change the block over to spade (instead of glass) just incase i keep missing it. love this bike even though it has been thru heck. maybe its finally time for the 750
          Last edited by Guest; 04-10-2011, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X