Look what I found!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look what I found!!

So after I was talked into putting Amsoil in my 82 GS750 by a friend at work...and after running the bike for a few months...and after seeing all that new oil start seaping out around the oil pan gasket...and after pulling the exhaust pipes and oil pan off the bike to put on a new gasket...I saw a small piece of "something" hanging out of that little internal oil screen.

I pulled it out (it's the round piece in the picture, about the size of a nickel) and decided I'd better pull the whole screen off and double check. The oil screen has this half moon shape of metal covering some of the screen so you can't really see what's up in there. Glad I did because this is what I cleaned out of it!!

Yikes!! The bike has been running good before before this was cleaned out and I replaced the Amsoil with Rotella T and she's running a lot smoother. A noticeable less vibration and less engine noise...but it may just be my imagination. Moral of the story...if you're not sure...check it out!

This is my first attempt at inserting a picture attachment...hope it works.
    sigpic

1974 GT750 ...done, running and sold
    1974 GT550 .... under construction (done and sold)
    1978 GS550........all stock, running (going to do 550/650 build with it)
    1978 GS1000...another project (Given to son #2)
    1982 GS750EZ ...daily driver(given to son#1)
    1982 GS1100G...completed and traded to son #2 for the 750 back
    1982 GS750EZ...daily driver (got it back in trade with son #2)
    1983 GR650 Tempter.... engine rebuild completed (and sold)

Looks like it could be form-a-gasket?

Comment

Pieces of cam-chain guides? How is your cam-chain adjuster set?
      Is it a manual unit to replace the stock one?

Daniel

Comment

I believe it's old gasket material of some kind. It's rock hard but I don't see anything that looks like metal. A lot of very thin pieces...I'm just glad I double checked it. As for Amsoil...I've heard that sometimes it will leak through an old gasket and I think that is what happened here. I'm also guessing that this may have been the first time this bike has EVER had it's screen checked out.
        sigpic

Comment

Your cam-chain...
          is TOO TIGHT!

Clear?

Daniel

Comment

Okay..can you explain that better? I'm new at this wrenching stuff and have never heard that a too tight cam chain would cause this. Also, I'm not sure that this screen was ever checked by the PO however many that might have been. I just got the bike about a year ago and it runs fine. Of course after carb rebuild, electric clean up, and general maintenance, etc..
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Super View Post
              Okay..can you explain that better? I'm new at this wrenching stuff and have never heard that a too tight cam chain would cause this. Also, I'm not sure that this screen was ever checked by the PO however many that might have been. I just got the bike about a year ago and it runs fine. Of course after carb rebuild, electric clean up, and general maintenance, etc..
              Mr. 7981GS worries that the cam chain is chewing away at the tensioner and leaving little bits of tensioner in your engine.

Whether he is correct of not, you should find the source of that junk, you can't risk having things floating around in your engine.

Comment

Those black plastic pieces could only come from these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_1678wt_941

Take your cam cover off and have a look at them.
                At the very least, clean out all of the pieces and adjust the cam chain tensioner correctly.
                I am pretty sure that it is covered in Basscliff's website in detail.

Daniel

Comment

Okay, I understand what you're saying now. I believe this is a stock tensioner as the whole bike is stock. I'll check Basscliff's site and educate myself and make the appropriate fixes/adjustments necessary. Thanks!!!
                  sigpic

Comment

The front guide, is a piece of cake to replace BTW.
                    The rear one, requires some effort. Especially with the engine in the frame.
                    Don't drop the screws! (Have a telescoping magnet on them as you remove them.)

Daniel

Comment

Okay..I understand. Thanks again for all your help.
                      sigpic

Comment

Sorry, it is the one BOLT that you do not want to drop.
                        There are two screws that hold the mount that the rear guide sits on! DUH!

You may be able to find a set as inexpensively as these if you preserver.

BTW, BEAUTIFUL bike you have there!

Last edited by Guest; 04-12-2011, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Thanks again!
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X