Tach not working, need to replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tach not working, need to replace?

I have an 82 1100gl. The tach stopped working this spring. Pulled the cable off and there was no break. Pulled the gear and replaced the seals according to bwringers walkthrough. I hooked the cable to the drill and tach and gave it a spin. No reaction on the tach.

Now im looking for a replacement tach. What will work? Does it have to be an 1100 tach? Does it have to be from a suzuki?

I have a junker 450 sitting here, will the tach off that work?

Trying to figure out my options.

Originally posted by Ohioan View Post
    I have an 82 1100gl. The tach stopped working this spring. Pulled the cable off and there was no break. Pulled the gear and replaced the seals according to bwringers walkthrough. I hooked the cable to the drill and tach and gave it a spin. No reaction on the tach.

Now im looking for a replacement tach. What will work? Does it have to be an 1100 tach? Does it have to be from a suzuki?

I have a junker 450 sitting here, will the tach off that work?

Trying to figure out my options.
    Yep, the tach off of the 450 should work fine. A mechanically driven tach just depends on the gear that drives it to be the right one for the application, and it'll be fine.

Comment

Although I cannot find it right now, I remember a post on here about fixing the guts of the tach and speedometer. Might want to do a search on it and give it a try.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I just had the same thing happen on my 850. when i pulled the cable it looked fine, replaced it with the cable off my 1100 and it was good to go.
        I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
        http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...Picture003.jpg 1982 GS850G

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...n1/Picture.jpg 1980 GS1100L

Comment

Your cable might not look like it's broken, but is there the square end on it?

I have seen that part break off, leaving what appears to be a complete cable.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Advise from an agricultural engineer

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Your cable might not look like it's broken, but is there the square end on it?

I have seen that part break off, leaving what appears to be a complete cable.

I agree, double check and triple check the cable. They can be tricky.

I have had a Tach apart and fixed it but the truth is I could have fixed it without opening it up. The problem with that one was that the mechanisim had jammed (it is meant to spin very very freely but it was stuck) I don't know what had happened to the tach (it was on my sons GN250 which he had just got as a do up) but it seems like the mechanisim had sustained a jolt which had caused it to hang up on the shaft it spins on. It kind of "fell" back into place as we were examining it. So I actually believe we would have got it working by simply giving it a few jolts up and down to free it from where it was stuck.

Soooo... if you do rule out the cable as the problem I think it would be worth giving the tach a few good old jolts, taps, bangs - particularly in the longtitudinal direction - and see if that gets it working again. What can it hurt ? you are going to throw it away anyway, right ? May not have to.
            Bill Alexander
            New Zealand
            78 GS1000 - Red
            02 GSX1400 - Blue

Its is all about the journey not the destination

Comment

Try changing the cable, worked for me and I would have bet $$ the original cable was okay and the tach needed to be serviced. Glad I was wrong!

Comment

I always seem to forget something in the original post.

I replaced the cable and the tach still did not work.

Buuut, I think i'll pull the tach apart and see what's up. And then if I can't figure it out, i'll just swap it for the 450. Doesn't look like i'll get to ride this upcoming week anyways. April showers bring May flowers!

Comment

Try turning the fitting on the tach that the cable fits into with a screwdriver. Does it spin freely? If not, it could just be locked up with rust or gunk. Hit it with some Kroil or PB Blaster to see if that frees it up. Then hook up the cable to the tach, and spin it counterclockwise with a drill to loosen it up more.

Comment

Working...
                  X