Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas Mileage

I have 2 questions
    1. Would changing the size of my rear sprocket effect my gas milage? I was able to go 80 miles before I had to switch to the reserve tank, now I get about 55-60.

2. If I remove my airbox and put the aftermarket cone air filters on are there any other adjustments I need to make for the extra air I'll be taking in?

1. Yes

2. Yes

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

What adjustments can i make for both issues

Comment

What bike are we talking about? Taller gears do better gas mileage, but are less powerful feeling off the line, they also let you go faster with lower rpm (doesn't matter the make, model or color).

Comment

I have a 82 GS550L I had a 44 tooth rear sprocket and replaved it with a 50 tooth sprocket. Would that change make a almost 20 mile decrease in gas?

Comment

The torque may be influencing how much you crank the throttle. It's more fun!! Driving habits can have a big effect.
            1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
            1983 GS 1100 G
            2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
            2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
            1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

It could. Think of a multi-speed derailleur style bicycle. Leaving the chain on the front sprocket (say the smaller one), and you shift from the third sprocket down in the rear to the top sprocket. Now notice how much faster your feet must travel to maintain the same speed you were maintaining while on the third sprocket down. In return, you burn more of your energy to maintain that speed. That's what your motorcycle is doing now by having the larger sprocket.

Comment

ok thanks for breaking that down for me what changes will i have to make to compensate for the extra air going through the carburetors with the aftermarket air filters when i replace the airbox

Comment

You'll need to rejet or adjust the jetting (fuel/air mixture will change with pods) at the very least. Look up rejetting and plug chops on BassCliff's welcome package site, it'll give you all the information you need.

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
                    What bike are we talking about? Taller gears do better gas mileage, but are less powerful feeling off the line, they also let you go faster with lower rpm (doesn't matter the make, model or color).
                    Not really, you spend more time in the lower gears, and the engine spends more of it's time below the RPM range where it runs most efficiently. Usually taller ratios don't help the mileage much if at all. It depends a lot on which bike, and how it is ridden.

Even the most extreme sprocket change shouldn't make a 20% difference in mileage, something else is not quite right.
                    If a 550 isn't very close to 50 mpg, it has problems.

Comment

where should i start to find the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Wilee7 View Post
                        where should i start to find the problem?
                        The answer you seek, and many others are here:

Comment

Hi,

Did you miss your "mega-welcome"? It is in THIS THREAD of yours.

Have you made any other changes to the bike besides the sprocket?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                          Last edited by Guest; 04-18-2011, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Also, know that pods are usually fitted as a performance upgrade...... not economy-enhancing.
                            '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                            Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                              Hi,

Did you miss your "mega-welcome"? It is in THIS THREAD of yours.

Have you made any other changes to the bike besides the sprocket?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

I replaced my stator and rebuilt my carburetors last year

Comment

Working...
                              X