headlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

headlight

i am at work and need to order a headlight for my gs 450 l. i cant remember the diameter of the sealed beam. does anyone happen to know what replacement bulb i can get at the auto parts store? they have a bunch of them but i do not know the size, only that it is a sealed beam with three plugs. but if someone had the sylvania part number that would make it easy for me. thanks in advance.

Try looking up the part number on BikeBandit. They have a pretty good parts fiche section and should be able to help you find it.

Edit: Just looked up your bike and suzuki didn't list the bulb on the parts fiche. I know the bulb on my bike was an H4 but suzuki might have a different size. Is your headlight a 7 in or an 8 inch unit?
    Last edited by Guest; 04-18-2011, 04:12 PM.

Comment

No part number, but my bike came with a standard 7" sealed beam. I originally replaced it with a halogen car headlight, and have since replaced that with an H4 ubit that works much better. The motorcycle specific headlights emit a rounder beam I've found, whereas the the automobile style emits a more horizontal beam. The plug for the original H4 system that was on my 850 parts bike is a narrower plug than the one that is on my Vetter fairing, so you can't really swap those ones without a pigtail assy.
      Last edited by Guest; 04-18-2011, 04:08 PM.

Comment

not sure if it is 7 or 8 inches. i am at work. thanks for looking though.

Comment

My stock 450 headlight is 6-3/8" diameter. I couldn't find a replacement sealed beam without breaking my checking account so I ordered a replacement from Candlepower that's uses a standard H4 bulb.
          Memotronics is your online source for lighting and industrial supplies. We stock over 2000 miniature, line-voltage and halogen bulbs for industrial, automotive, residential and commercial applications. Our automotive lighting selection includes vintage and hard-to-find bulbs for domestic and import cars, as well as a range of thermal, electronic and solid state flashers, including a range of turn sugnal flashers for aftermarket LED conversions

Hope that helps.

Comment

Your bike is an L model so that means the headlight is 6 3/8" diameter. I have a 7" headlight from a Yamaha Virago. Black housing, chrome ring, 7", and H4 bulb. It's complete and in good condition.

PM me for price

Comment

Originally posted by Flaming Chainsaws View Post
              Your bike is an L model so that means the headlight is 6 3/8" diameter. I have a 7" headlight from a Yamaha Virago. Black housing, chrome ring, 7", and H4 bulb. It's complete and in good condition.

PM me for price
              Nice offer, but simply putting a 7" light where a 6" one came out will splay the mounting arms out, angling the turn signals back, oujt of alignment. If you want to put the 7" light on, you also need to change the mounting arms for the headlight. That will reuire you to either remove the wheel, fender and fork tubes or the instruments and upper triple clamp to change the mounting arms.

It would be far simpler to get the Candlepower unit, as Hornswaggle suggested.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Nice offer, but simply putting a 7" light where a 6" one came out will splay the mounting arms out, angling the turn signals back, oujt of alignment. If you want to put the 7" light on, you also need to change the mounting arms for the headlight. That will reuire you to either remove the wheel, fender and fork tubes or the instruments and upper triple clamp to change the mounting arms.

It would be far simpler to get the Candlepower unit, as Hornswaggle suggested.

Worked for me .

Comment

Originally posted by Flaming Chainsaws View Post
                  Worked for me .
                  How about a shot looking straight DOWN to see if the signals are in a straight line?

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    How about a shot looking straight DOWN to see if the signals are in a straight line?

Well, that was an old picture. I have aftermarket fork ears now. Check out my bolts LOL!!!

To the OP, if you want my headlight, I'll give it to you for $10 plus shipping. I will admit that it will make the turn signals sideways a little bit but it's not too bad.

Comment

I got some time yet. The high beams still work. I just had to tilt the light down a bit. Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                      X