GS 450L running kind of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 450L running kind of

Well after getting the bike over a year ago I found one of the needle jets upside down ,cleaned carbs ,fresh tires and adjusted the valves . I was surprised she started up but revved way too much and realised the intake boots wern`t tightened all the way . Still having trouble getting it too idle will try again tomorrow
    1980 GS 450L not been running in awhile .

Hey, I got the same bike .

You have lower handlebars. Check the throttle cable and see if it's kinked anywhere. Maybe now it's a good time to get GS450E/S throttle cables. Or you can reroute your current throttle cable. Try disconnecting the cable from the carburetors and see if that does anything.

Another thing to look at is the butterfly valves in the carburetors. They should barely be open.

I also noticed how hard it was to start the bike. Did you rebuild the carburetors yet? Did you adjust the engine's valves yet?

Do this stuff and let us know what happens. I'm thinking it's something as simple as a stuck throttle cable.

Comment

Your bike sounds very similar to what my bike sounded like a couple of weeks ago. It was very hard to start, and when it did start it would race up to 2000rpm and then die. I had a hunch it was the igniter since I had just cleaned the carbs, so all I did was run a ground straight from the battery to the igniter and it fixed all my problems; the bike starts first try and runs fine.
      hopefully it's something as easy as that, keep at it, you'll find it.
      willman

Comment

Didn't have time to watch the whole clip just yet but it cranks well and even though it rev'd it sounded good!

I'd be sayin' "holy moly" too... haha
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Yeah Pete it was reving up to 8k and didn`t want to push my luck so I was switching the bike off with the key Took the battery out tonight and noticed one cell was dry so filled that with some distilled water but thinking that might be my problem . Going to try tomorrow and see what happens

Comment

I like how the smileys are perfectly lined up.

Anyways, I don't think that the battery is your revving problem but it's a good find. Fix it then try again!

Comment

Yeah after the video I tightened up the boots around the carb and got it to settle down a little . Then it wouldn`t start and I know how a dying battery will give you major headaches Also in this video note even turning on the blinkers dosn`t help

Comment

I was amused by the wrist twisting between starting attempts.

Just so you know, it does absolutely NOTHING to help start the bike.

It doesn't hurt anything, either, but it does nothing to help.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  I was amused by the wrist twisting between starting attempts.

Just so you know, it does absolutely NOTHING to help start the bike.

It doesn't hurt anything, either, but it does nothing to help.

Good call Steve, noticed that myself.

I used to do the same thing until I got stuck deep into these forums and realised with no vacuum it would do nothing at all...

sigpic

Comment

Good call on the throttle cable all it needed was loosing at the carb end now I have to adjust the idle screw so it won`t die . It sounds like a monster when I start it up and not like a 450 I noticed on one of the boots at the airbox side was leaking smoke guess I should have replaced them The screw holding the boot is all the way tight but seems like it needs a different clamp on there to get it tighter .

Comment

Originally posted by John Mellencamp View Post
                      Good call on the throttle cable all it needed was loosing at the carb end now I have to adjust the idle screw so it won`t die . It sounds like a monster when I start it up and not like a 450 I noticed on one of the boots at the airbox side was leaking smoke guess I should have replaced them The screw holding the boot is all the way tight but seems like it needs a different clamp on there to get it tighter .
                      I knew it! That's what happened to me when I put lower handlebars. Brand new carb intake boots are good. Get the clamps too. They are a bit expensive but I'd say it's worth it.

Comment

My fuel screw is 2 turns out do you think going in a little or out would help and which way would help with helping it out to idle down low .

Comment

Well I decided to go 3 turns out too richen up the fuel . I probably should try a quater of a turn at the time but I`m going all out going to try and start her tomorrow

Comment

I used what I think is called the "highest RPM method" to adjust mine years ago and I ended up with one 2 turns out and the other 2 1/4 turns out...

sigpic

Comment

Oh I feel stupid now got my new carb boots today to go between the airbox and carb . Well after I tore it down to put the new ones in I noticed the old ones were pushed into the airbox and not even on the carb . So I`ve put the new ones in properly although was very hard to push the airbox back into the carb what a workout Will try in the morning and see what happens

Comment

Working...
                              X