Seat recovering techniques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seat recovering techniques

I guess this is a general question..I have seen upholsetery shops use a spray on adhesive that secures the seat cover to the pan..anyone have any idea as to what it is..or who may have had sucess with spray adhesives.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

3M General spray trim adhesive.

Available at your finer auto parts stores...

Free Shipping - 3M 08088 with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Adhesives and Sealants at Summit Racing.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I would only use it when stretching... a more solid approach to attaching it to the pan is needed really. I like pop rivets myself.

Comment

Suzuki didn't use glue under the cover. Why should an aftermarket cover be installed differently?
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I finally recovered my seat ('79 GS1000E) with a Pit Replica cover. It wasn't as hard as I expected. I used door guard trim on the seat pan edge, I wanted something that wouldn't come off and show up under the seat cover like so many stock seats I've seen with the stock rubber seat pan edging. I used "gorilla" glue on that door guard edging as additional insurance to keep it from coming off. The best advice I can give is to get that cover hot. I put mine on the dash of my car with windows rolled up in the hot Florida sun. Makes it very supple and easy to work with, I put the cover on the front first, then the back then worked the sides. I didn't use any glue, just used those hooks on the seat pan, just enough pressure to get it to grab initially while I stretched on the cover in place, once I got it in place, then I punched them through the vinyl cover. The hardest part was getting the holes for the grab rail on the back in the right place. And if your not done and your seat's cooled off too much to work it, just stick it back in the car. If I were to have used glue I'd probably use contact cement or vinyl floor glue in which any excess comes off with lighter fluid.
          sigpic
          Steve
          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Chuck's gonna use glue anyway. No matter what anyone says, Chuck's gonna use glue.

No glue Chuck!!
            sigpic

82 GS850
            78 GS1000
            04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
            .................________-|___\____
            ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

This is what most upholsterers use, http://www.pack-n-tape.com/cart/3m-s...FYrs7QodBCGigQ. I've recovered mine a couple of times over the years. I just used marine grade vinyl. It stretches more in one direction than the other so choose what will turn the corners and stuff best. I have a plastic seat pan so I staple underneath. If yours is metal then rivets would be best.

Comment

I have recovered a few seats in older cars and on motorcycles, both custom covers I handmade myself and store bought replacement covers. I am in the middle of a custom cover for my GS850 right now. 3m Spray adhesive works decent for attaching a cover to foam so it doesn't slide around however to attach it to the seat pan as said before you want a stronger attachment point if your seatpan is anything like the one on my 850 you have nice metal spikes just pull the material tight punch it through the spike and then bend the spike over. Otherwise I have used poprivets very successfully.

Comment

Originally posted by veedub View Post
                  I have recovered a few seats in older cars and on motorcycles, both custom covers I handmade myself and store bought replacement covers. I am in the middle of a custom cover for my GS850 right now. 3m Spray adhesive works decent for attaching a cover to foam so it doesn't slide around however to attach it to the seat pan as said before you want a stronger attachment point if your seatpan is anything like the one on my 850 you have nice metal spikes just pull the material tight punch it through the spike and then bend the spike over. Otherwise I have used poprivets very successfully.
                  I would be very reluctant to use glue of any kind to attach the seat cover to the foam, possibly the foam to the seat pan but that would be it. I do have in my possession a GS1000E seat pan that absolutely won't rust, it's made of plastic. I was going to use it for my main seat, but it doesn't have the holes for the grab rail or do I think it would support one if I drilled for them. I have all the parts necessary to make a seat but I just haven't figured out what to do with it yet.
                  sigpic
                  Steve
                  "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Use NO glue Chuck!
                    Just stretch it tight.

Daniel

Comment

Yeah my padding is flat too.

My seats have rivets, but I don't know how to do it, or where to buy them.

(I guess I sorta never thought about where to get rivets....)

Comment

Working...
                      X