What oil to use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What oil to use

Got a GS450 twin, what is the best oil to use in the engine.

Define "best".
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Oh no... not again...

Comment

WD-40 for the win.

Comment

A wise man working at autozone once told me, to only use the most expensive synthetic motorcycle oil.

Those guys act like they know everything, so they Must be right!

Comment

Search...please...no more.....can't....breathe....

Seriously, look in the old technical forum, and you will find literally thousands of posts on which oil to use.
            sigpic

SUZUKI:
            1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
            HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
            KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
            YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Its in your mega welcome

Comment

Oh i hope i have time to get some popcorn before this gets really good

Comment

In my opinion, its not so much the oil, brand or expense as much as it is the filter. Use the grade in your owners manual. If it says 10w30, then 10w30 it is. In the manual, there are also "alternatives". These are are fine under the conditions described. I myself use Royal Purple or Amsoil synthetic with a Hi-Flo filter. In my GS650, Ive seen a drop in oil temps using these oils. Ive noticed the oil is cleaner since I started using them. Ive also started going past what the manual suggests when to change to roughly 5000 miles. Please remember, my bike is/was different than yours in its past care and condition. You WILL find different results. Id suggest you start with something middle of the road like Rotella in the grade your bike requires. Id spend my money on a better than mid grade filter though.

Just my opinion. Im sure other will agree and many more will can me a fool.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Darren7,

You're probably wondering what a "mega-welcome" is. Here ya go!

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

BOOM there it is. Read all of it. Lots of good info

Comment

I used to get " bike oil" for mine. Through pursuasive convincing from these guys, I switched to Rotella. With the "bike oil" it would get dirty real quick, (like 100 miles), and the motor would get a little "clacky" within 1000 miles or so. After using the Rotella, the oil stays cleaner longer and I have yet to hear my motor "clack". I now change my oil and filter every 3000 or so, and still no "clack".

IMO Rotella works!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gpd211 View Post
                          Oh i hope i have time to get some popcorn before this gets really good
                          Here ya go.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                          X