do not try to rotate brake pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do not try to rotate brake pads

Tried it because they were wearing down nearly exactly the same way on both front calipers.

Not only did the brakes not work for stopping the bike the wheel was very hard to turn and made pushing the bike nearly impossible.

if there is a list of dumb things newbz should never do, I hope this is on there!

You have to push the caliper piston back in.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Yeah, it would have most likely worked fine if you would have compressed the calipers back in.

Comment

Single piston brake pads wear on a angle and thats more than likey why they didnt work when u swapped.

Comment

Originally posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
          Yeah, it would have most likely worked fine if you would have compressed the calipers back in.
          Hi, they were compressed back as it was impossible to get them over the discs without doing so.

Maybe it is just that my discs are in too bad shape or heck, maybe I put them in wrong the first time!

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
            Single piston brake pads wear on a angle and thats more than likey why they didnt work when u swapped.
            Oh yeah: they are wedge shaped, big time, and that is why I thought I could save a few bucks by rotating them.
            Last edited by Guest; 05-16-2011, 10:52 PM.

Comment

By the way, any recommendations for good value on buying pads, brand, composition, reseller? I think I paid about $30 plus tax at the local dealer for a pair for the rear. Ouch.

Thanks
              Last edited by Guest; 05-16-2011, 09:05 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Time to upgrade to the Kawasaki twinpot mod
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Paid under $30 for a full set of fronts for the Kawasaki calipers recently..... The Suzuki ones seem to be pricey these days.

I do have kits for the calipers at the moment if you want to go that route.

Todd - thanks for the plug

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                    Time to upgrade to the Kawasaki twinpot mod
                    Sounds like a nice upgrade but this L is not getting too much more $$$

:-)

Comment

I don't think they'll fit on the leading axle forks anyway.. the caliper holders are different from the E/G so I assume they won't fit... nobody has ever tried it in order to confirm.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                      X