?on the gs550L valve cover gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

?on the gs550L valve cover gasket

I am about to put the valve cover back on the bike, do I put sealant on both sides of the valve cover gasket or which side?

Thanks,
    Mike

Hi Mike. Don't use sealant on these. If you smear a bit of grease on the gasket it will help it seat nicely plus you stand a better chance of being able to reuse it next time you pull the cover.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

No sealant? Odd. When I pulled it, the gasket had what looked like silicone sealant on it on both sides but I have read different thoughts on it. This would be the first that I have heard not to seal it.

Comment

Originally posted by mickeeand View Post
        No sealant? Odd. When I pulled it, the gasket had what looked like silicone sealant on it on both sides but I have read different thoughts on it. This would be the first that I have heard not to seal it.
        OK - put sealant on if you want. If it comes off and boogers your motor by clogging up an oilway come back and let us know.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

I appreciate your response. Seems like I touched a nerve there by my last comment.
          Not having sealant would be a great thing, ie...less mess and hassle. Did Suzuki ship these bikes without sealant on the valve cover gasket? Of course my manual doesn't say on this issue. I am willing to try the greasing of the gasket to see if that will work, if it doesn't what would you recommend? Will multi-use grease work?

Thanks,
          Mike

Comment

Suzuki didn't use sealant on those gaskets. What you're seeing was put on by a PO.

There's no need to use any special grease - all you're aiming for is the gasket to a) stick in place while you put the cover on / screws in b) let the gasket settle nicely as you tighten things up and c) prevent the gasket from welding itself to the head / cover so that next time you do a valve check it comes of nice and clean (no picking away with you fingernaisl / gasket scrapers) and you can reuse it.

Don't forget, these are low pressure oil systems (you probably pee with as much pressure) so no need to go overtightening / gluing things down etc.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

83-86 550s use sealant on the cam cover goove as well as the end caps.
              Use sparingly. These rubber gaskets are durable and reusable.

Comment

I got everything together and took it for a test drive. I need to dive back in again because I must have adjusted a valve wrong plus it is leaking oil on the halfmoon gasket part on the end so no biggie. Torqued the valve cover bolts down to 10ft/lbs. My manual states max is 10.9ft/lbs
                Back to the drawing board tomorrow. Thanks for all the input.

Comment

You should put silicon sealant under the half-moon rubber end caps, and only there. Everywhere else just smear a very thin layer of any type of grease like axle grease. Very very thin. That will allow you to remove the gasket later without leaving bits and pieces of it on the engine and/or cover. The sealant under the half-moons will prevent that leaking you now have. Grease on both sides of the gasket....sealant under the half-moons. That's it and it will seal up nicely. Good luck.
                  Current Bikes:
                  2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by mickeeand View Post
                    I got everything together and took it for a test drive. I need to dive back in again because I must have adjusted a valve wrong plus it is leaking oil on the halfmoon gasket part on the end so no biggie. Torqued the valve cover bolts down to 10ft/lbs. My manual states max is 10.9ft/lbs
                    Back to the drawing board tomorrow. Thanks for all the input.
                    The correct torque for those small 6mm valve cover bolts are 5 to 8 lb/ft unless it is the '83 and later 550 motor.

What year is your 550L?
                    Last edited by Guest; 05-18-2011, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X