Getting access to spark plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting access to spark plugs

Hello again, this is the 3rd time I've registered, I only ride in the summer and I guess my account gets deleted every winter if I don't use it for 6 months

Anyway, getting my 1983 GS750E back on the road this week. Charged up the battery and using a battery booster pack, but no luck starting yet. It's been sitting for quite a while, so not a big surprise.

I have the fuel on PRI, it's cranking but not catching. Choke wide open. Maybe I flooded it, dunno.

Anyway I figure I should start with the easy stuff, like having a look at the spark plugs. I know my way around cars but I'm new to bikes, and I don't have anywhere to really work on it (except in the alley behind my apt building).

Obviously I'm going to have to take off the gas tank to get to the middle 2 spark plugs, what's the procedure for that? Looks like a couple of bolts on rubber mounts, easy enough. What about the fuel hoses? Is gas going to start pouring out?

Thanks
    Skye

No need to remove the tank to change the plugs. Get ya a longer extension for your ratchet.

Welcome (back).
    sigpic

82 GS850
    78 GS1000
    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Hmm ok I'll go dig some extensions and wobble sockets out of the basement and see if I can get to them.

Follow up question, is it "better" to try and crank the bike 5-6 times, then wait 30s or so and try again, over and over? Probably not doing the starter any favours. Would it be better if I tried to bump start it instead?

*Clean your carbs* *adjust your valves*
      Cleaning carbs sounds like quite the operation, hope it doesn't come to that. I suppose I could have winterized it a little better.

Thanks

Comment

Hi,

Yes, your carbs are gummed up from the evaporated gasoline. Visit my little website (link below) and click on the READ ME page. There you will find a couple of maintenance lists. All of those items need to be addressed. Any shortcuts will leave you walking all season.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Skye View Post
          Hmm ok I'll go dig some extensions and wobble sockets out of the basement and see if I can get to them.

Follow up question, is it "better" to try and crank the bike 5-6 times, then wait 30s or so and try again, over and over? Probably not doing the starter any favours. Would it be better if I tried to bump start it instead?

Cleaning carbs sounds like quite the operation, hope it doesn't come to that. I suppose I could have winterized it a little better.

Thanks

Short burst of the starter. And are you using fresh gas?
          Did you let the gas sit in the tank and carbs all winter? Try draing the float bowls though I doubt there is naything in there but varnish residue.

You can try to fill the bowls with carb cleaner via the gas line and let it soak. It does work and there is a way to starting a bike beyond the sorry mantra of completely rebuilding the bike.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
            Did you let the gas sit in the tank and carbs all winter?
            Sure did
            I'm smart huh???

Oh yeah, how long should it take to fill the empty, gummy bowls on PRI?

Comment

Sure did
              I'm smart huh???

Oh yeah, how long should it take to fill the empty, gummy bowls on PRI?

Depending on how bad the gas went the petcock may not be flowing at all.
              DC the fule line then set it to prime does fuel flow?
              If so then get rid of the bad gas and put in a quart or so of fresh stuff.

I would feed the carb cleaner into the system by spraying it ( slowly ) in via the fuel hose.

I am a redneck though.

Comment

Gas goes bad in 6 month? Huh.
                What do you do with bad gas you've drained anyway?

Redneck fixes are the best fixes

Comment

Put it in your vehicle or lawn mower. But really, you will need to take the carbs off and thoroughly clean/dip them as in the tutorial on Cliff's site.
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Carbs on these old bikes need to be meticulously clean to work properly. The jets are pretty small and are easily clogged. While you don't necessarily need to make it a habit, it's a good thing to be able to take your carbs off the bike quickly. After doing it a few times, you'll be able to. You'll figure out the tricks to quickly disconnecting and reconnecting the throttle and choke cables in the process, also not a bad thing. It's also one of those things, like valve adjustments, that you should know when it's been done last and when it needs to be done again.

Guitar string and compressed air work great to clean out jet passages.

Next fall, pick up a length of fuel line that you can dedicate to draining your gas tank and carbs. You'll be much happier this time of year when you can just fill her up and go.

Comment

The general idea with these bikes after they sit unprepared for a while is that the carbs will have to be disassembled, dipped and cleaned in barrymans and reassembled.
                      sigpic

82 GS850
                      78 GS1000
                      04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Got the bike started, didn't do anything much, just let it sit overnight. I guess the (old) gas probably dissolved whatever was clogged. Sounds like it's running on all cylinders. Hooray! Now to put some new gas in it and take it for a test drive.

Found an old can of Seafoam in storage, should probably put some of that in the gas tank. Can is probably 4 years old but it's sealed. Can't find much about the Seafoam shelf life except this, probably ok

I have been using a product called "Sea Foam" for about 10 years now. Just dump a few tablespoons in your tank if it will be setting for awhile. This stuff is alot better than Stabil. Stabil has a shelf life Sea foam lasts alot longer. Put this in my outboard, lawn mower, snow blower and tiller never have a problem starting.
                        It says you can put in in the engine oil too, think that's a good idea?

Not many miles on the engine oil but it's been sitting a while, do I need to get that changed too?

Skye

Comment

Yeah, change the oil.
                          I'd run it without the Seafoam for now just to see how it does.
                          sigpic

82 GS850
                          78 GS1000
                          04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Sweet. Just took it for a ride, pumped up the tires and topped off the oil. Running great. These bikes are pretty damn strong. Chain is pretty slack. Got a big trip coming up so dropped it off at the local shop for a full check and service just to be confident.

Planning on taking it on a long ride starting Sunday, from Vancouver to Osooyos then all the way down Hwy 97 through WA and OR almost to Cali. Should be really warm and dry (instead of cold & wet like the last time I tried this down the coast on the 101). Hopefully no snapped clutch cables in the middle of nowhere like 2 years ago haha.

THis time I got spares. So something else (which I don't have) will probably break

Thanks for the help & encouragement guys. THis site rocks.

Comment

Got a big trip coming up so dropped it off at the local shop for a full check and service just to be confident.

I hope the shop calls you to get the OK on the items needing service. On a near 30 year old bike that would be .......everything ! A full service on your Bike at a dealer could easily top $500 .
                              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
                              X