No announcement yet.

Getting access to spark plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I already did the full service thing a couple years ago at the same shop (and yeah it was about $400 IIRC), they know that, so it shouldn't be that much. Just a general check and the usual maintenance stuff. Even if they go overboard, good for peace of mind on such a long trip. Still a hell of a lot cheaper than getting anything done on my 1990 VW Corrado haha

Comment

Holy ****balls, I won't even let my Dad touch my bike....and he's a jet mechanic.
      Lol, I can't imagine taking it to a shop with these so-called "mechanics" today!

Whoops sorry, didn't mean to rain on your parade!

And while I don't share the near "obssesive" carb-cleanliness behaviors of my fellow GS'ers......They definitely gotta be cleaned every once in a while.

The gasoline today contains too much Ethanol, and our bikes were NOT MEANT to tolerate it....when you let the gas sit for even 1 month....it will have trouble starting on ocassion!

Marine Gas Stabilizer is your friend....use it! lol.

If all else fails....a quick squirt of starter fluid will start any bike.
      Its not pretty, and not good for the engine, just so you know!
      But I'm part redneck, and get a little impatient when riding season starts!

Comment

It's a father & son Suzuki shop, they've been around forever, I trust them. No choice really - there's only so much I can do in the back alley with homeless guys going through the dumpsters. The joys of city life.

Nice avatar photo. Is that your bike? haha

Comment

I have used your father and son shop as well. When it comes to buying stuff great. When it comes to work. Any resemblance to the estimate is purely coincidental. Check out their Google reviews, to which I might be adding. Then check out Essential's which are excellent. They also have card you can get, 5 hours for 300 bucks. Apparently you can watch the work as well. This appeals to me as I would like to learn. Will let you know if I use them to do my carbs.
          Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
          https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

Today's gas is not good and goes off very quickly as the guys have stated. You should get in the habit of using a stabilizer/cleaner like Seafoam to keep things sweet. I've been using it for 6 or 7 years now and add an ounce or two to every tank. More (about 1/3 of a can) goes in for winter storage. It is very good stuff and yes you can use it it in your oil with no harm.

I had heard about this when first using it but was sceptical so I called Seafoam and got to talk with one of their chemical engineers who gave me the full low down and assured me it is entirely safe and compatable. I only use it prior to oil changes as it is great for cleaning all the sludge out of passages. Put some in and ride for about 500 miles or so then watch all the crappola come out when you change it.

With these old bikes it is a good idea to be able to do most of the work on them yourself if for no other reason than if you are far away from home or help when something goes "pear shape" as our Limey brothers say.

Good luck with your trip. Take lots of pics for us to drool over.

Cheers,
            Spyug

Comment

Working...
            X