Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedometer drive

Hello, 2nd question of the day....

My speedometer cable on my 1983 GS750E broke internally so I replaced it, but still no speedo movement. Bah. Had a look at it today, and up inside the front wheel housing, there's a little tab that I'm sure is supposed to move when the bike moves. The cable end has a slot that fits over the tab. Well I pushed the bike a couple feet and the tab didn't turn at all.

I'm guessing there's some kind of gear/worm drive internal mechanism that got stripped maybe? Is this a common problem and is it possible/how easy is it to fix? I see there's a little set screw or something directly below the speedo drive in the front wheel assembly...

Thanks,
    Skye

If this link works, it will take you to a "how to" for a similar drive off a Cavalcade. I followed the instructions and got part of the way disassembled. I couldn't get the drive gear out and am not sure the GS drive disassembles exactly the same. I did get partially apart and cleaned everything up and tried to blow some grease up around the drive gear with compressed air. At any rate my gear turns much easier now.
    1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
    1983 GS 1100 G
    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Just buy another speedo drive for the front wheel, that's the easy option.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
        Just buy another speedo drive for the front wheel, that's the easy option.
        Hmm this looks a bit tricky to do in the back alley behind my building. Guess I'll just live without it for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Skye View Post
          Hmm this looks a bit tricky to do in the back alley behind my building. Guess I'll just live without it for now.

C'mon Skye, it's a 20 min. job to remove the front wheel and axle and remove the speedo drive. It will probably fall off when you pull the axle anyway. Fit the new used one and put it back together again.

Your bike has a 16" front wheel I believe,so check part numbers first before buying one off Ebay. The Suzukis with different size front wheels, 17" and 19" front wheels will use a different speedo drive than on your bike. The hardest part will be finding another speedo drive, the easy part is fitting it.

All the GS750s up until '82 used a 19" wheel which has a different speedo drive than your bike. They went to the 16" wheel in 1983. You're just lucky I guess.
          Last edited by Guest; 05-18-2011, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Drive cog tab repair

"drive cog the tabs that interface with the main gear were worn down to half thickness and would not engage at all"

THE METAL LOOKING WASHER HAS 2 TABS THAT ENGAGE INTO THE FRONT WHEEL. WHEN THE SNAP WRING IS REMOVED THAT HOLDS THAT "WASHER" IN PLACE ON THE CABLE DRIVE ASSEMBLY IT WILL EXPOSE 2 SMALL TABS THAT FIT INTO A GEAR THAT ROTATES THE CABLE....

THIS IS AS WAY TO REPAIR THE 2 SMALL WORN TABS THAT OPERATE THAT GEAR FROM THE ROTATION OF THE WHEEL...

THE SAME THING HAPPEND TO MY DRIVE COG, SO I HAD THE TAB BRAZED USING A GAS TORCH AND FLUX AND BRAZING WIRE.... THE BRAZING LEFT A NICE PILE OF METAL TO GRIND AND FILE BACK DOWN TO REFORM THE DAMAGED TABS....

I DID NOT HAVE PICS, BUT THE BRAZING METAL SEEMED TO ME A HARDER METAL THAN THE STEEL COG ITSELF.....

I HAVE NOT HAD A CHANCE TO INSTALL BACK ONTO THE BIKE, BECAUSE THIS ALL OCCURED TODAY.

THE TABS ENGAGED WELL AND THE UNIT TURNED AS SHOULD AFTER THOUROUGH CLEANING AND GREASE PACKING.

CERTAINLY A CHEAPER FIX THAN A USED CABLE DRIVE ASSEMBLY AND WAY EASIER THAN TRYING TO FIND A REPLACEMENT COG..... ALL SITES I HAVE VISITED DO NOT SELL REPLACEMENT PIECES TO SERVICE THE CABLE DRIVE ASSEMBLY

Comment

Working...
            X