Stripped out drainplug... I think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stripped out drainplug... I think

So while I'm waiting for parts to get the bike running, I decided to change out all of the fluids. Got the 2ndary and final drives all emptied out, went to do the oil and the "drain plug" is a rigged up well nut set up with a ton of RTV goop. Yanked it out, let the crankcase drain, and reached my finger in the drain hole to feel an almost totally smooth hole. So is there supposed to be threads? And if so, should I just tap threads and find a replacement plug, press in an insert, or do a helicoil?

another pan from someone here or the breakers. that way you can see what crap sits in the oil in the pan. New gasket and differant pan is way better than a "fixed" anything.

Comment

I don't know Sharpy, the helicoil in my oil pan has keep pretty solid for the last year after I "loosened" it the wrong way.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Go to Napa, Auto Zone, one of the chain auto repair stores and get a +1 oil drain plug. 14mm is the size you're looking for. They work fine, I've had one in my pan for the last 40k mi.

Comment

Originally posted by cal_lool_zero View Post
          So while I'm waiting for parts to get the bike running, I decided to change out all of the fluids. Got the 2ndary and final drives all emptied out, went to do the oil and the "drain plug" is a rigged up well nut set up with a ton of RTV goop. Yanked it out, let the crankcase drain, and reached my finger in the drain hole to feel an almost totally smooth hole. So is there supposed to be threads? And if so, should I just tap threads and find a replacement plug, press in an insert, or do a helicoil?
          They didn't have the right +1 plug at any of the local pepboys stores, and I don't know that it would have held because mine is really stripped out.

Right now I have an expanding rubber drain thing in it.

I will tap it to 16x1.5 mm for a bigger plug.

this guy on ebay has the tap for 9.99 or best offer.
          I offered 8.01 and was accepted ... you might be able to go lower ...

I'll probably do one of these oil plugs when I get the new plug ...

Comment

I should have mentioned that on any normal vehicle I would have just tapped it and called it a day, but the oil pan resembles a 1.9l waterboxer which have very close tolerances between the oiling system and the drain plug. I had a helluva time finding a replacement option on that after the dealership overtightened the drain plug. Just wanted to make sure there wan't any clearance issues.

Comment

Yes you may be able to find a plag to suit but as its a new bike to you ill be buying a "new" pan. Kill 2 birds with one stone, check what nasties lay in the sludge/oil in there and fix it properally. Just a suggestion. Every 2 oil change on my bike i drop the pan as insurance on future engine problems. Could find bits a steel/bearing cage, clutch plate/fibre or parts of cam chain guide. Better safe than sorry

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
                Yes you may be able to find a plag to suit but as its a new bike to you ill be buying a "new" pan. Kill 2 birds with one stone, check what nasties lay in the sludge/oil in there and fix it properally. Just a suggestion. Every 2 oil change on my bike i drop the pan as insurance on future engine problems. Could find bits a steel/bearing cage, clutch plate/fibre or parts of cam chain guide. Better safe than sorry

http://shop.ebay.com.au/i.html?_nkw=....c0.m270.l1313
                Thanks for the link. I see how easy it is to drop...

And I found nothing of importance to report. It could definitely use a cleaning, but no chunks of metal or anything. And the drain plug isn't even stripped. So I'll get a replacement and go from there.

Comment

better safe than sorry i say, enjoy

Comment

True, it was reassuring to find nothing needing serious attention in there. Couple that with the great compression across the cylinders and brand new fluid I found in the secondary and final drives; I'm excited to get this thing up and going.

Thanks for the help.

Near as I can tell, the PO lost the drainplug or something. I threaded a bolt I had laying around and it tightened right in with no play or binding.

Comment

Working...
                    X