gs 1100 running with too little oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs 1100 running with too little oil

Just got this bike. Picked it up from the shop that certified it, charged me $500 for replacing rear tire, cleaning the carbs and a new mirror. I took it for a long ride right then, bike seemed to sound metalic and heat up. Turned out oil was below low. No idea for how long
    Stupid of me for not checking it in the first place.
    I poured in two quarts and got it to high. The oil turned black almost instantly, black smoke coming form exhaust. So far my plan is to change oil several times in short intervals, until it retains light hue..
    Looking for any advice on how to otherwise deal with this problem.

Find your forums most helpful btw, really appreciate all the advice!

Radek
    1980 Suzuki GS 1100

Were they supposed to change the oil/check it?

Daniel

Comment

Aside from finding out how the shop defines "certified," I'd pull the valve cover and see what oil starvation did to the cams and rockers. Don't be shy about pulling a cap or two to see what's underneath - sometimes the exhaust side cam cap bolts can really bake themselves in there if they haven't been pulled in 31 years, so be careful not to snap a bolt like I did.
      That's an area of the engine that really appreciates it's oil.
      A compression test wouldn't hurt either.
      -1980 GS1100 LT
      -1975 Honda cb750K
      -1972 Honda cl175
      - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Thanks Tom. It seemed to me the valves were making the metallic noise I'm worried about. Going to research how to properly tuned them, and carefully dig in..
        To answer your question 7981GS, I was silly enough to assume that this would be the first thing to check on pro mechanic's agenda. I was also given that impression leaving my bike there. In the end it is my neglect, no hard feelings for these pros. All I'm focused on now is how to minimize/neutralize the effects. This is my first bike in Canada, haven't been riding in 20 years, never dealt with motorcycle mechanics here. Lesson has been learned, no doubt.

Comment

If the oil light didn't come on there was no starvation, you didn't lose pressure, the cam bearings are fine. Low oil will let the stator cook, but I wouldn't worry about anything else unless the oil light came on. The light does work, right? Oil turns black quickly in these loose old air cooled engines, instantly if you didn't drain what was left in there, that's normal. These are noisy old engines anyway. Adjust the valves, fix any air leaks, do the other neglected maintenance that it needs, and keep oil in it from now on.

No that I'm recommending it, but I've sen GS engines survive low oil such as this with no ill effects many times.
          Last edited by tkent02; 05-25-2011, 03:51 AM.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks tkent02. A little bit of comfort in the crappy situation Oil light did not come on, but I can't confirm it works. Looking forward to getting it back into shape!
            Cheers

Comment

Does the oil light come on when you turn the key, before hitting the starter?

Comment

Good point Pretty sure it did. Though not positive, gotta say I was panicked enough not to pay attention. Thanks for clearing that up!

Comment

Check the oil light during every start, it's even easier than looking in the window.

Comment

Went for a ride...Judging by the engine sound and throttle action things are getting better! Thanks for putting up with a newbie guys
                    Btw, anyone from Canada able to recommend any particular brand of oil? So far I'm leaning towards Castrol GTX, because there are hardly any motorcycle-specific oils available out there. Appreciate pointing out some sources.
                    Cheers

Comment

Do they sell Rotella in the Great White North?

Comment

Yes, Rotella-T 15W-40 is available at Walmart. If you wish to use Castrol, their Grand Prix 10W-40 motorcycle oil is available at Can Tire, and priced only slightly higher than regular GTX. Supposedly, has a more robust additive package for m'cycle use, but I doubt it will be as 'robust' as the Rotella-T.
                        Make sure you're checking the oil level with the bike perpendicular to the ground...leaning on the side stand, the level appears drastically low, leading quite a few newbies to over-fill.
                        '82 GS1100E

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
                          Make sure you're checking the oil level with the bike perpendicular to the ground...leaning on the side stand, the level appears drastically low, leading quite a few newbies to over-fill.
                          Good point. Put the bike on the center stand and leave it there for a minute or so before checking the oil level in the sight glass.

These engines are pretty tough. If the red oil pressure light did not come on you are probably OK.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Once again, thanks for the tips. I admit I over-filled on the first one
                            Gonna get me some of the good stuff for my next oil change!
                            I'm guessing it's safe to use 15w-40 instead of 10w-40...
                            Last edited by Guest; 05-26-2011, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Hi,

Any of the 15w40 diesel engine oils will be much better than automotive oil and not nearly as costly as motorcycle-specific oil. The Shell Rotella-T 15w40 is the favorite around here but I've also used diesel engine oils from Castrol and Valvoline. It depends what's on sale.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                              X