X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to forum please help me :)

Hi all,

Been browsing forum and seems like a lot of good people here

My name is Jerry, I am 50 years old and been riding since I was 7. I just bought a 1980 GS750E. I absolutely LOVE the way this bike rides but I need help on a couple of things.

My bike leaks oil I searched and searched to try and find the answers I need but can't find exactly the symptoms I have anywhere.

My bike leaks in town, not real bad, you dont really notice it until you stop and smell it. It seems to be primarily on right side of motor. When I bought the bike the guy told me it leaked and I rode it in town before I bought it didnt seem to be a big problem.

But, I just took it on a 100 mile round trip ride and the thing covered my right leg in oil, oil EVERYWHERE. The guy I bought it from said he thought it was the cylinder base gasket. I just cant seem to see where its coming from.

I called the three local shops and they said these things are a BEAR to work on and none of them will touch it. I am a mechanic and have worked on bikes alot but mostly dirt bikes and never a dohc 16valve monster, lol.

My question is what is the most common cause of this kind of leak? I am devastated, I like the bike so much but I cant ride it like this and just don't know what to do. Other than the oil leak the bike rides and drives like new, starts, runs and rides PERFECT.

The guy I bought it from said he put a German stator in it and has never had a problem with the charging in years. He kept reciepts where he had the oil changed every 2,000 miles.

I am going to change the oil to 20w50 to see if that helps, I only ride when its over 80 degrees usually and from what I read here that should not hurt the bike and I am hoping it will help the leak a little.

I know you cant diagnose the problem without seeing the bike but any help I can get I would deeply appreciate.

Glad to be a member and hope to be here awhile, I really, really, like this bike and I have owned many
    Last edited by Guest; 05-31-2011, 09:16 PM.

Welcome to the forum. You are in good company with your GS bike love.

As a mechanic I'm sure you are capable of finding the source of the leak; you need to identify the source before it can be fixed.

I suggest you clean the engine really well, using something like one of the commonly available engine degreaser sprays, letting it dry off, and then starting up the engine while you look closely for the source. Pretty basic stuff and child's play for someone that's accustomed to wrenching.

Of course fixing the leak is where the real fun starts, but as a mechanic you should have no trouble. Get yourself a manual and go to town.

Have fun with it.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Rubber cam seals behind the round chrome covers, tach cable seal at engine maybe. There are other places but I would look closely at those first.

Welcome to the forum, all the info you need you will find here.

Comment

Leaks are caused by bad gaskets. All of the gaskets in these bikes except the head gasket are paper or rubberized paper. They get hard, and brittle from heat cycles and sitting, and they crack or break. Certainly not the end of the world, and whatever shop told you those bikes are a bear to work on are a bunch of idiots. Do yourself a favor and never go in there for anything ever again, because if they cant work on one of these bikes, they shouldnt be allowed to own tools. Period.

As Nessism said, you need to find the source of your leak. This can be tricky, as a leak from the valve cover gasket will get oil everywhere, making it difficult to tell where its coming from. Same with the cam chain tensioner gasket and or Oring. The half moon gaskets under the beauty covers on the valve cover will also harden up and weep. Find the source, then buy the necessary replacement gaskets, and replace them.

If your base gasket is leaking (the one between the lower engine case and the cylinders) then the entire top end will need to be removed to replace it. You'll need to replace the head and valve cover gaskets as well, as the head gasket is not reuseable, and the valve cover gasket, while sometimes reuseable, is probably not in this case, depending on how long its been on there, and whether or not it comes off in one piece.

Worst case scenario there, but even still, if you're a mechanic, its like working on an old VW motor. Aircooled, everything is right there, and once you see how it all works, its cake. Get a manual, take your time, and you should find it to be no sweat.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by TPL View Post
          Rubber cam seals behind the round chrome covers, tach cable seal at engine maybe. There are other places but I would look closely at those first.

Welcome to the forum, all the info you need you will find here.
          His motor doesnt have round covers, but yes, it does have those seals as well. Though, USUALLY when those leak, its just weeping, not pouring.

Without seeing it, Im going to bet its the valve cover gasket up front near the cam chain tunnel. They often crack there, and when they do, the cam chain slings oil quite efficiently, making quite a mess. The oil gets blown around by the air, and before you know it, EVERYTHING is covered in oil, including your boots.

BTW, its important that you clean ALL of the old gasket off both mating surfaces when replacing them. If you dont, it will leak. You also need to take care not to gouge or score the mating surfaces either, as it will leak.

A green Roloc wheel on a drill will work nicely for cleaning them up. Just dont leave it in one place too long...

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post

A green Roloc wheel on a drill will work nicely for cleaning them up. Just dont leave it in one place too long...
            Machinest guy that surfaced my GS1000 head said those Roloc wheels have provided him with a LOT of extra business since they hit the market.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

As stated above you have come to the right place, Nessism and the Cafe Kid have a pile of knowledge. It has just begun for you ..

Welcome to GSR the home of rusty nuts and bent cranks!

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                Machinest guy that surfaced my GS1000 head said those Roloc wheels have provided him with a LOT of extra business since they hit the market.
                Yeah i wasnt too keen on the idea either at first Ed. But then I tried the green wheel on some spare covers i had laying around. They work nice, and even leave the factory machine marks in the covers. I wouldnt use anything more aggressive than the green ones, and those are more or less a slightly stiffer scotchbrite pad. But as much as your buddy may have gotten business from those things, Ive seen people do more damage with a razor blade and sandpaper...its all in the amount of user error I suppose.

Comment

wow

Wow, thanks for the quick responses guys

I have taken the bike to car wash, used a whole can of engine degreaser, drove home from car wash, got home and no oil at all. For some reason it only leaks when driven at highway speeds, I can drive it in town for 20 miles and barely any leak at all and I cant see where it is coming from, It does leak several drops when sitting after parking but I cant see where its coming from.

I said I was used to working on bikes, I am, but soley on thumper dirt bikes and have never been past the top end. This thing is intimidating to me and I had just planned on taking it to the shop. Suzuki said they could fix it but they said it would be a minimum of 2000 dollars and they really acted like they didnt want to mess with it. All three shops I took it to said these bikes are junk and that I should try and sell it.

I am not comfortable with taking the motor out which I assume you would have to do to fix the leak. I am pretty much left with two choices, sell it or just drive it in town. If I decide to keep it I guess I will remove the like new windjammer fairing on it since I wont need it in town, lol.

I have just listed it on ebay, if anyone would like to see it of if anyone lives close enough that would be interested feel free to contact me my number is in the ad. I bought it for 1000 and am going to sell it for 950.

Thanks for the help guys, I guess I was just really grasping at straws since I like the bike so much but I dont have the time or skills to tear it down and its not worth 2000 dollars to me to fix it.

Thanks so much again for all the replies, I would like to buy one that doesnt leak oil but from what I have read here those are few and far between, lol.

My last street bike was a Suzuki DRZ400S which I totally tricked out and could do anything too, I shouldnt of sold it but I was offered way more than I had in it. I think I am in over my head on this one and I will sell it if I can and if not just drive it around town and cry, hehehe.

Thanks so much again,Here is a link to the bike on Ebay and pics, Jerry

Last edited by Guest; 05-31-2011, 10:18 PM. Reason: add link

Comment

I believe that TCK is referring to the green plastic roloc's.
                    Not cheap! About $20.00 each.

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by smokydog View Post
                      Wow, thanks for the quick responses guys

I have taken the bike to car wash, used a whole can of engine degreaser, drove home from car wash, got home and no oil at all. For some reason it only leaks when driven at highway speeds, I can drive it in town for 20 miles and barely any leak at all and I cant see where it is coming from, It does leak several drops when sitting after parking but I cant see where its coming from.

I said I was used to working on bikes, I am, but soley on thumper dirt bikes and have never been past the top end. This thing is intimidating to me and I had just planned on taking it to the shop. Suzuki said they could fix it but they said it would be a minimum of 2000 dollars and they really acted like they didnt want to mess with it. All three shops I took it to said these bikes are junk and that I should try and sell it.

I am not comfortable with taking the motor out which I assume you would have to do to fix the leak. I am pretty much left with two choices, sell it or just drive it in town. If I decide to keep it I guess I will remove the like new windjammer fairing on it since I wont need it in town, lol.

I have just listed it on ebay, if anyone would like to see it of if anyone lives close enough that would be interested feel free to contact me my number is in the ad. I bought it for 1000 and am going to sell it for 950.

Thanks for the help guys, I guess I was just really grasping at straws since I like the bike so much but I dont have the time or skills to tear it down and its not worth 2000 dollars to me to fix it.

Thanks so much again for all the replies, I would like to buy one that doesnt leak oil but from what I have read here those are few and far between, lol.

My last street bike was a Suzuki DRZ400S which I totally tricked out and could do anything too, I shouldnt of sold it but I was offered way more than I had in it. I think I am in over my head on this one and I will sell it if I can and if not just drive it around town and cry, hehehe.

Thanks so much again,Here is a link to the bike on Ebay and pics, Jerry

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GS750...item35b28d9127
                      Actually, you can rebuild the entire top end with the motor IN the bike... No need to take it out.
                      ALL aircooled motors will weep oil now and again. Suzuki did a lot of things to try to remedy it, and they did pretty well. With new gaskets in place, it shouldnt leak a drop, save for maybe the very front of the valve cover gasket, and even then we're talking very very little. These are old bike sir,
                      things get hot, change shape a little, some previous owner gets a little careless with his gasket cleanup, and gouges or angles the mating surface and it will weep.

Not to sound like a jerk but I think you and or your shop guys are making a bit of a mountain out of a mole hill. These bikes ARENT junk, and when properly maintained they'll last a very very long time. There are plenty of us on here who have 100K plus miles on these bikes. Its all about how much they've been cared for in their existence. Unfortunately, people assume that motorcycles are like cars and you can just drive em into the ground and they'll be fine. Its simply not the case. And that throw-away mentality is why so many of us find these bikes cheaply, fix em up, and have nice rides.

$2000 is a lot of money to be charged to fix some gaskets that you could do yourself for free. With a manual, even if you have to take the top end down, its a weekend worth of work at most, and you'll actually learn how to take care of your bike. Then again, if you want a turn key city cruiser, you might be better off selling it, and buying something you dont have to wrench on...

Comment

I just wanted to add another voice to the chorus saying that shop was trying to rip you off and that you are perfectly capable of fixing this yourself. I was told my engine was junk because a dry compression test showed bad numbers. After getting on here, cleaning the carbs, adjusting the valves, and replacing a bad stator, my bike runs like nothing I could have thought of for a 30 year old machine.

Slow down, relax, listen to TCK's and Nessism's advice and you'll have a great running bike that you'll enjoy immensely.
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Agreed, the shop guys are idiots, they don't want to work on these bikes, and they are not junk, my old 1000G is living proof, 375 000Km so far.
                          they are not a nightmare to work on either, we have all kinds of people here, from all walks of life, and they manage to maintain and repair thier bikes without too many problems...with a little help from thier friends.
                          Four cylinder, twin, thumper, they all work the same, just a few more head bolts to tighten is all, don't feel intimidated, once you get in there, you will see how basic it really is, someone with your mechanical skills will have no problem, I promise you.
                          It would be sad to see you sell a nice bike bike like that for such a small thing.
                          And no, the motor does not have to come out to do the work.
                          I say, take it for a ride on the freeway, find the source of the leak, if it is only leaking at highway speeds (high RPM) then I would put money on the tear drop O-Rings at the base gasket, as it is only leaking when the oil pressure is maximum (high RPM).
                          Where about are you, maybe, if there are a couple of members near, they can arrange a wrenching party and give a hand, wouldn't be the first time.
                          Let us know how it goes.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. smokydog,

If I'm not too late, I invite you to peruse the information I've collected on my little website. These bikes are easy to work on but shops don't like doing it because there's no place to plug in their diagnostic computers. They will butcher your bike and charge you up the wazoo. I've read three or four stories like that in the last week right here in the forum.

As for your leak, once you have the engine clean, spray some foot powder in the suspect areas and check for the wet spot. The usual suspects are the valve cover gasket (see the valve adjustment guides on my website for pictures) or the tach cable seals. Both are easily repairable. The head gasket and base gasket take a little more work but certainly do-able by someone with your skills.

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                            Last edited by Guest; 06-02-2011, 02:07 PM.

Comment

So now you are selling the bike (which looks very nice by the way) just because of an oil leak from a gasket? Are you sure you ever really liked the bike in the first place? Because it sounds like no biggie problem to correct. Good luck with the sale, but I must say the bike you have looks real nice, I'd keep it.

Comment

Working...
                              X