New to forum please help me :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woot and Congrats!

Glad to hear that your ride and your attitude are on the upswing. Sounds like you're gettin' things all sorted out in short order.

Well done!

And hats off to all those with the experience and know how that have provided the guidance and encouragement. There is no better team then that of TheGSResources membership.

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by smokydog View Post
      Hey guys, any of you know if these seatcovers are any good?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...05929&viewitem=
      I've never seen or tried one of those seat covers. My Travelcade cover worked out really well but was twice as much money. It has good material, good stitching, and a little layer of foam under the top to smooth out any irregularities in your seat foam. It's been on my bike for four years now and is holding up great.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Found oil leak need help please

Hi all

I did the talcum powder trick you all told me about and found my oil leak. It is right above the exhaust port but I cant tell if its from the gasket or a crack in the head Is this a common place for the GS750E to leak from the gasket or would it be more likely a cracked head? If it is a crack in the head can they be repaired? If not I will have to sell the bike because I have looked all over the web and there is a post here for someone looking for the same head on craigslist. I dont want to spend the money on a gasket set and do all the work just to find out it cant be fixed.

I know you cant tell me whats up without seeing it but any input or probable causes for a leak right above the exhaust port would be appreciated.

I found this just posted on craigslist real close to my house I am going to buy it if I cant fix this bike:

Thanks , Jerry

Comment

Noooooooo!!!!!!! It's an LLLLLL!!!! They suck big time!!!!! Fix your oil leaks again, it's either the tach drive or the valve cover gasket, maybe the cam chain tensioner. They are ALL VERY EASY to fix, and the oil migrates all over the place so you can't see where it's leaking.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

this thread is pretty long so I did not go although it buts sounds like the last discovery is that the oil leak is high above the exhaust ports.

You should knwo that there are two O-rings on the inside of the valve cover on the two front inner head bolts. The should be changed. Do a search.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Last edited by posplayr; 06-05-2011, 09:25 PM.

Comment

I thought those were only on the 1100E?

Comment

Why not a "L" ?

Noooooooo!!!!!!! It's an LLLLLL!!!! They suck big time!!!!! Fix your oil leaks again, it's either the tach drive or the valve cover gasket, maybe the cam chain tensioner.
                Why are L's no good?

Thanks, Jerry

Comment

Personal preferences for some Jerry. You're fine.
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Here we go again.
                    Some folks like the tiny gas tank, poor steering and low seating position, and the tinny fart can exhaust. Some even like the silly chrome and the goofy uncomfortable seat. But we can't say anything bad about the bikes, they are easily offended and get all butt hurt if you don't gush all over their pretty pictures.

L's make great cafe racers, bobbers, engine stands, choppers, planter boxes and mailboxes, and even half decent parts bikes if all you need are engine parts.

Comment

L's are fine if you like them. And I'm not offended. In fact, I prefer my G any day of the week.

But don't give up yet on your oil leak. Take the valve cover off and do a close-up inspection of the head. I'll bet it's either the valve cover gasket or the tach cable. There is a tutorial on basscliff's site for sealing up the tach cable where it mounts to the head. It's easy as can be. Oh, and the cam chain tensioner is on the intake side of the head, so it's not that.

When you replace the valve cover gasket, be sure to get every single bit of old gasket material off of both surfaces. Be careful not to score either surface. Some have used goo gone to soften it up. I have used paint stripper which works good, but you have to be very careful not to get it on the outside of the engine or it will strip the paint off...obviously. Before putting the new gasket on, be sure the check the rubber half-moon seals (4 of them) on each end of the cams. Make sure then are still pliable. If not, buy more. They don't cost that much. You can get them at most parts dealers like bikebandit for instance. When installing, put some black rtv gasket sealer under the curved surface of the half-moons. Don't put it anywhere else. Then, when putting the paper valve cover gasket on, smear a thin layer of some kind of grease, like axle grease, on both sides of the gasket. It will seal up just fine, and when you want to get in there to do a valve adjustment (which you should do when you are in there) the gasket should come right off without sticking. Good luck and hang in there...you're almost there.
                      Current Bikes:
                      2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

thanks, exactly the info I needed

Thanks so much ddaniels

Exactly the info I needed. The leak is for sure right above one of the exhaust ports which is where the valve cover gasket is. I was concerned it might be a cracked head but on closer inspection I think it is the valve cover gasket. I put talcum powder ALL over the engine and have ruled out the cam chain tensioner or tach cable.

Ok so I got your tips, and they are exactly what I needed, couple of more questions please.

1. Do I need to take off the breather cover to take off the valve cover or should I inspect the cover gasket or leave it alone if its not leaking.

2. So if the leak is ONLY the valve cover gasket all I should need to buy is the valve cover gasket itself and the half moon rubber seals if they are hardened ?

3. Anything else I should check while I have the valve cover off ?

Thanks for the great help, I am going to take the bike apart as soon I figure these last couple of things out. I am sure alot of you think I am a total newb for being so cautious on just a valve cover gasket change but I am really limited on funds and need to make sure I can buy what I need otherwise I would be better off selling the bike while it is not a basket case, lol...

Thanks all, Jerry

Comment

1. It will make it easier to get the valve cover off

2. Depends on what you find in 3. At the minimum you will need the half moons, breather cover gasket, and valve cover gasket. If you do number 3 then you'll need new shims and possibly the shim tool if you don't want to use the zip tie method. You can get the shims from the shim club here (PM GhostGS1) but at the very least you'll need a metric set of feeler gauges

3. Check your valve clearances if you haven't done it yet.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Half moons a must ?

Thanks for all the help, I have a question I am almost ready to do this. Is it a MUST to replace the half moons ? Im on a limited budget, I just ordered the valve cover gasket and I know for sure my half moons are not leaking now due to the talcum test. Do they leak for sure if you dont replace them ?

Thanks for any help I can get you all have done this so if you say its a must to replace the half moons I will order them for sure.

Jerry

Comment

No it is not a must (I reused mine the last time) but I would still recommend it just to cut down on the possibility of leaks if anything. I sure wish I had.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Originally posted by smokydog View Post
                                ...2. The engine says it holds 3500ml of oil that is almost 4 quarts right? wow never expected it to hold that much....
                                Lots of oil because the engine is air-cooled. Oil helps cool water-cooled engines, and it is essential for cooling air-cooled engines.
                                sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Working...
                                X