Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What repairs can I do myself....what absolutely needs someone who is experienced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What repairs can I do myself....what absolutely needs someone who is experienced

I have a fair amount of experience with the air, oil and electrical systems of cars, but have never messed with carburetors, cylinders, fuel system or charging system.....I can follow instructions and usually figure answers out....but here I just have no idea where to even start when it comes to engines??

You can almost always do the repairs yourself. And for a 30-year-old motorcycle, it's almost always better if you do. Is your bike in need of engine repairs?

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
      You can almost always do the repairs yourself. And for a 30-year-old motorcycle, it's almost always better if you do. Is your bike in need of engine repairs?
      I think so..here is the thread for my specific question

....I was just trying to gauge what level of competence I need to be at for engine stuff.

Comment

You will do fine as long as you are willing to ask the questions, listen to the advice, and try to do the work.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Why pay someone $60 a hr to stuff it up when you can do the same for free and end up with some good tools with the money you save. Most bike shops wouldnt know what a GS is anyway.

Comment

Hey man, you can totally do the vast majority of this engine work on your own if you have some tools, a space to work, and can follow directions. I am not mechanically gifted at all but since buying my bike I have torn down, cleaned and rebuilt my carbs, replaced my petcock, rebuilt the camshaft tensioner which was leaking oil, completely replaced my brake lines, replaced my intake boots - basically lots of stuff I never, ever thought I could do.
            It hasn't always been easy. I've made mistakes. I can't say I've always done a perfect job. But my bike is 100 times better and safer than when I got it. And I have so much more pride in my bike, though it's not the prettiest, because I've done the work myself. And because I can still keep up with my buddy on his Ducati!
            By the way, your problem sounds like how my bike behaved when my petcock failed last year. I had to replace the petcock then clean my carbs to remove all the rubber bits that were causing the problem.

Comment

Hi,

Have you seen all of the "how to" guides on my website? If I can do it, anybody can. Click the link in my signature file.

I have yet to replace the piston rings or other internal top end work, but I wouldn't worry about it. There is lots of advice available here in the GSR community.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

The only thing I haven't done on mine to date is get the impacted swingarm bearings out of the swingarm, and that was only because I didn't have an oxy torch to heat it up.

Before my 450 rebuild started, my only experience has been installing car radios, doing oil changes, replacing points, gapping spark plugs, and some electronics stuff at TAFE.

I've now rebuilt my engine and most of my bike

While I won't promise everything is perfect (far from it), I have learnt heaps and now have some idea of what's wrong if something doesn't sound right.

The only parts left that I won't be doing myself will be making the exhaust and probably the seat foam and cover, and maybe fitting tyres depending where I get them from.

If I can do all that and you have some previous car experience, then you'll be right as rain to get your hands dirty with it
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

You can do it. You can do it. You can (and should) do it yourself.
                  Having done nothing more than oil changes on cars, I tore down my Katana to the frame, split the engine cases, and totally rebuilt everything.
                  New rings, honed cylinders, lapped valves, replaced bearings, wiring harness, powdercoated parts, etc.... Only thing left to do is paint/bodywork, but that will have to wait until motivation and funds rise.

Ask for advice and listen to the responses.
                  Get a manual and read through it before starting.
                  Post lots of pics and most of all, enjoy yourself. These are pretty simple machines.

Comment

Use a 3/8 - 1/4 inch socket set, a small torque wrench and you'll be fine.

My first engine I ripped apart was a GS(X)1100 16 valve motor and all I did was follow the manual. Gaskets and sealant I worked out and the rest was bagging things up well with labels so I could easily rebuild it later.

With experience in cars a bike is easy even if you've never been inside one.

Going to a dealer or bike mechanic is money down the pan and they know as little about 30 year old bikes as all they will have been taught on are modern day bikes.

Comment

True, all true. The bike I currently have is my first ever and between the kind folks here and a manual (free online BTW), I'm not afraid to tackle anything. If you're a decent DIY car mechanic, then you have and know how to use tools and go about things rationally.

DON"T PAY ANYONE TO DO THE WORK!!

Shops don't have anyone on staff more experienced than most of the people here.

Comment

Working...
                      X