Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

83 GS450E --> The $35 bike is almost road ready again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS450E --> The $35 bike is almost road ready again!

Hey everybody!

So I bought a GS450E out of a tow yard for $35 this past winter, and am working on getting it streetable and good again. It starts and runs now with the choke on, and it will idle, but as soon as you go to give it gas it just bogs immediately and dies. It'll run with choke on... but yeah, it's definitely got something up.

Any ideas on that? I took the carbs apart and cleaned them, it's stock exhaust and all that... brand new clean gasoline from an auxilary tank for testing... air filter cleaned and oiled... I couldn't find an A/F mixture screw so I didn't get to tool with the mixture at all. I guess the pilots could be a little imperfect still?

Other issues:

1- Ignition is screwy. Sometimes it turns off, sometimes it stays on. Considering replacing the main fuse with a 20amp breaker and just using that to turn it off from now on. Also doubles as an anti-theft device, since $35 bikes are in high demand!

2- Gas tank lid was beyond impossible to open. The key hole was full of bird poop, it was rusted shut... etc etc etc. Drilled it out and it opened the lid.. except now I have a lid that won't stay in place anymore. Any ideas for a lid on the bike? Maybe just something temporary? No one would steal gas from this damn thing...

I suppose outside of the gas tank and the carboration, it's ready to hit the road. Kind of cool to see this bike alive again. I got a pretty good used tire for the rear, and just need to dig up a semi-legitimate for the front, and I'll have a fun little cruiser!

Sounds like you need to do the carbs again and do them completly,not the 20 min carb cleaning that people think will work . Also you need to make sure you have no air leaks in the intake system, replace intake o-rings ect, make sure that the air box is sealed up properly, The gas cap and ignition -E-bay is your friend buy another one with a key. Some times people list a set cap and ignition as a set.If you have not posted a introduction , post one and you will recieve your mega welcome, there are step by step instructions in there and more information then the average person can consume in one reading
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
      Sounds like you need to do the carbs again and do them completly,not the 20 min carb cleaning that people think will work . Also you need to make sure you have no air leaks in the intake system, replace intake o-rings ect, make sure that the air box is sealed up properly, The gas cap and ignition -E-bay is your friend buy another one with a key. Some times people list a set cap and ignition as a set.If you have not posted a introduction , post one and you will recieve your mega welcome, there are step by step instructions in there and more information then the average person can consume in one reading

Welcome and like he said, you've got carb problems and leaks in your air intake system.

cg
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I've done a ton of carbs before this on bikes, so I'm not quite sure it's something I mesed up, but I'll double check anyways. I replaced the boots leading from the carbs to the head of the motor, so I guess it's time to replace the ones leading to the airbox, along with clean the carbs out again and extra thoroughly. Last time I didn't have an air compressor, now I do! Hopefully i'll be able to get this beast cleaned out properly and running.

Are there any generic caps out there for these tanks that just lock in place and don't require a key? I'm really not concerned about some one stealing fuel, nor screwing with a $35 bike.

Comment

Originally posted by jnicola View Post
          I've done a ton of carbs before this on bikes, so I'm not quite sure it's something I mesed up, but I'll double check anyways. I replaced the boots leading from the carbs to the head of the motor, so I guess it's time to replace the ones leading to the airbox, along with clean the carbs out again and extra thoroughly. Last time I didn't have an air compressor, now I do! Hopefully i'll be able to get this beast cleaned out properly and running.

Are there any generic caps out there for these tanks that just lock in place and don't require a key? I'm really not concerned about some one stealing fuel, nor screwing with a $35 bike.
          Visit Basscliff's site and review carb cleaning rules. There are very small holes and passages that get plugged up real easily and cause the running behavior you describe. Leave the main fuse at 15 amp-add simple switch to turn on/off, but if you troll ebay, you might get lucky and find ignition switch and matching gas cap ( same key).
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Your going to need the full 24 hr dip treatment for each carb, plus new O rings inside

Gas cap - check the For Sale forum or Ebay

Electrical - start by taking the ignition switch apart, clean it, especially the contacts
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
              Electrical - start by taking the ignition switch apart, clean it, especially the contacts
              That is definitely next in order!

I ghetto rigged it tonight and took it out for a spin. I just electrical taped a lawnmower gas tank onto it, shoved a screw driver down the vaccum line that normally goes to the petcock, and forwent the seat.

At first she didn't like holding idle, but after a short bit of riding her idle quickly jumped and stayed at 6k. After some futzing around she started to hold idle better, and after further riding the idleing became better and better. All good signs... but we'll see where the beast settles. It has been ridden since at least 2009, if not prior to that.

Are there any ghetto techniques for the gas cap? Any rubber corks or anything? I got the bike for $35, it's going to be used for my friends girlfriend to learn to ride on, I'm definitely not out to restore this beast to it's full glory or anything. It just needs to go!

Comment

She shreds again!

Comment

Ok, I'll say it, "what the hell do you have on your feet???????"

Sorry but that's not safe riding gear. Odd, in light of the rest of your kit.

I hope that's not your regular get up.

Glad you got the bike sorted, those are good rides.

Spyug

Comment

It's all part of a practical joke. Every Tuesday we have Tuesday Night Coffee here in Portland. I decided to show up on my ghetto rigged $35 bike wear full leathers... and CROCS of all things, hahaha.

You don't need to lecture me about proper protective gear:

(that's me in the back ripping along. I know a think or two about laying it down in full gear)

Comment

Working...
                    X