82 gs650, secondary gear drain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 gs650, secondary gear drain?

I'm getting ready to go on a long trip with my 85 gs650g shaft drive model.

Problem is i went to change the oil, and drained it from the filter cover and bottom drain plug...filled it up and then realized that the bike has a secondary gear drain plug under the shift cover..

Do i a: Have to start from scratch amd redrain everything.

B: Just let it go this time because it now has fresh oil

c. Take off the cover and take off that plug to drain it

I'm just hoping that no damage can come from this since it seems like it just gets refilled through the same way the rest of the motor does...

Can anyone tell me what i need to do? thanks in advance!

I will be fine. Just don't forget to drain the secondary next time.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Don't you have a service manual?

Check BassCliff's site for one
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffro67 View Post
        I'm getting ready to go on a long trip with my 85 gs650g shaft drive model.

Problem is i went to change the oil, and drained it from the filter cover and bottom drain plug...filled it up and then realized that the bike has a secondary gear drain plug under the shift cover..

Do i a: Have to start from scratch amd redrain everything.

B: Just let it go this time because it now has fresh oil

c. Take off the cover and take off that plug to drain it

I'm just hoping that no damage can come from this since it seems like it just gets refilled through the same way the rest of the motor does...

Can anyone tell me what i need to do? thanks in advance!
        No big deal! the new oil will mix with the old as the bevel secondary gears whirl around- most likely, few 650 owners know about the drain.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Why,650 owners are some of the most informed GS'ers out there. We know, for example, that you don't need to remove the cover to drain the forward gear case and that the same size wrench fits both the sump and the secondary gear case......

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Jeffro67,

Let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Can someone explain to the rookie where this secodary plug is located? According to previous owner this was never changed. But the engine oil looks fine..

Comment

Originally posted by Scubieman View Post
                Can someone explain to the rookie where this secodary plug is located? According to previous owner this was never changed. But the engine oil looks fine..
                I looked at your other two posts, and found that "the rookie" has an 850.

The 850 does not have that secondary drain that is tied in with the engine oil.

You DO, however, have a completely separate chamber that holds hypoid oil (90w gear oil) for the secondary drive, and don't forget the final drive unit.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

My 650g uses regular engine oil.

cg
                  sigpic
                  83 GS1100g
                  2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

My 650g uses regular engine oil.
                    Ya, but the 850 and 1000 have seperate hypoid oil, because they have the.............P O W E R

Comment

And a poor design.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

And you figure this how???

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by Scubieman View Post
                          This is technically "thread-jacking" but you're kind of new around here. So I'll take it easy on you.

For your bike (I assume we're talking about your GS850G), have a look at this article:

Secondary Gear Oil Change

You'll find a lot of GS850G-specific maintenance articles on my website, since I own an 850 too.

Note: The GS650G does NOT have a secondary gear case for gear oil. The GS650G shares the engine oil with the secondary gears.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                          X