Rubber baby buggy bumpers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rubber baby buggy bumpers

I just adjusted my valves and found that the rubber bushings that go around the spark plugs are demolished. Not the spark plug boots but the rubber pieces that go over the spark plugs before you hook the wires on. My question is do I need them ? What is their purpose? I have the valve cover back on and am ready to put the tank on and dont want to wait to order them if they are not necessary. If anyone can help and tell me whether I am ok with out them I would sure appreciate it, Thanks, Jerry

No.

Daniel

Comment

just a seal that is supposed to shed water from getting into the wires where the wire and plug cap come together..some black RTV will do the same thing.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

It sounds like you mean the rubber seal on the spark plug boot - yes it is recommended to use them - or the RTV I suppose. It's not especially critical though, especially if you're not riding in the rain. Lots of motors used to run without any spark plug boot at all.

The good news is you can just run it like it is and pick up some NGK caps for your bike. The stock ones just unscrew right off the wire and the new ones screw right on. Both types of cap come with an upper wire to cap rubber seal, a hard cap, and a lower cap to plug rubber seal.

here's an example of one from Z1 enterprises. http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=427
        "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by smokydog View Post
          I just adjusted my valves and found that the rubber bushings that go around the spark plugs are demolished. Not the spark plug boots but the rubber pieces that go over the spark plugs before you hook the wires on. My question is do I need them ? What is their purpose? I have the valve cover back on and am ready to put the tank on and dont want to wait to order them if they are not necessary. If anyone can help and tell me whether I am ok with out them I would sure appreciate it, Thanks, Jerry
          Did you make sure to adjust the Rock 'em Sock 'em Jetpacks as well?

Comment

What does the gas tank have to do with it?
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Make sure you put anti-seize on the spark plug threads or you may have the same problem I had once shortly after buying a used bike: water had got in and corroded a spark plug solidly to the aluminum head. When I tried to remove the plug, it broke. Had to remove the engine and take the head to a machine shop to remove the plug.

A few pennies worth of anti-seize can save a couple weekend of pain and $$ down the road.

Comment

more mystery rubber

I was not sure what rubber bushing you were talking about, but it made me think of those little square pieces of rubber/foam that are wedged between the fins on the top of the head near the spark plug area. WHAT ARE THOSE? What are they for? anti-whistle? anti-vibration? Are they necessary, I had one here or one there, but seemed to be missing some.

Comment

anti vibration

I am pretty sure they are anti vibration and youll be fine without them. I am talking about rubber donuts that go over the spark plug before you put the spark plug wire/boot on. I had one of those rubber blocks down in the spark plug well and just stuck it back in between the fins where had fallen out.

Jerry

Comment

Working...
                  X