Cleaning warning light glass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning warning light glass?

Tried searching and didnt find anything. Seems like most just replace the entire unit, and Id rather not do that right now.

So the glass/plastic that covers the warning lights (high beam, oil and neutral) is clouded and has a lot of dust and grime in it which make it hard/ impossible to read in sunlight. Tried taking it all apart, and got the cover off, but now I dont know what to do.

It looks like the glass is part of the cover, either by glue or other means. Is it possible to take it off and clean?

Tried searching warning light cover cleaning, cover cleaning, glass cleaning, light cover.

Originally posted by Starboard M View Post
    Tried searching and didnt find anything. Seems like most just replace the entire unit, and Id rather not do that right now.

So the glass/plastic that covers the warning lights (high beam, oil and neutral) is clouded and has a lot of dust and grime in it which make it hard/ impossible to read in sunlight. Tried taking it all apart, and got the cover off, but now I dont know what to do.

It looks like the glass is part of the cover, either by glue or other means. Is it possible to take it off and clean?

Tried searching warning light cover cleaning, cover cleaning, glass cleaning, light cover.
    Are you sure it's inside, and not outside? If it's plastic, it will be a pain to clean after all these years.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Starboard M View Post

Whatever you do, resist the urge to use ANY solvents on the plastic. If it is a polycarbonate, they are susceptible to damage even from mild solvents like ethanol. Isopropyl alcohol can be used sparingly. You are likely dealing not with dirt, but UV damage, which as far as I know, is not recoverable.
      '83 GS650G
      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I tried water on a paper towel, no solvents. Looks to me like its inside the glass?

Comment

No one has any ideas?

Comment

Working...
          X