Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drive Shaft service?

Hello all,

do any of you blokes know if there is a way to service- regrease the universals on the drive shaft of these GS Shafties?

I remember I had a friend who's drive shaft on his GS1000 packed up. I have had two of these bikes and I must admit have somhow always negleted the shaft.

As far as I know, there is no way to lube the u-joint.

The only service that can be done is to lube the splines, which is very rarely done.

The list of service that needs to be done to the whole shaft-drive system is: changing the fluid in the secondary drive (the gears at the back of the engine), using Moly 60 grease on the splines where the shaft meets the final drive unit, a bit more Moly 60 where the wheel splines meet the final drive and changing the oil in the final drive itself.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yep, not much you can do there, other than keep the rubber boot in tact to stop grit from getting in.
      It's a normal wear item, ride it till it makes clanking noises and then replace it, its not a major job to replace a UJ, mine is still good from new, 30 years later.

Comment

ok thanks blokes. yet another reason to love these bikes.

we work with a lot of truck propshafts- even though it is not our main business so i figure when i have trouble I will ask one of local engineering shops to help me out.

FlyBoy- you going to the 1000 bike show next month 2-5july?

Comment

Hi RS, sure I will be there, it is right at my work place, so maybe it would be a good time to meet up and down a few cold ones at TAC or the Harvard Cafe.
          As i recall, there were over 1100 bikes there last year.

Comment

I was about to say....I've never seen "service" and "GS driveshaft" in the same sentence before.

These aren't your run-of-mill crap-shaft bikes.
            Suzuki did it right, the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
              Hi RS, sure I will be there, it is right at my work place, so maybe it would be a good time to meet up and down a few cold ones at TAC or the Harvard Cafe.
              As i recall, there were over 1100 bikes there last year.
              You should take some pictures while at the show and post them up. We need visual aides.

Charlie G
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g
              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

FB - ja good idea- am planning on downing a few cold ones myself! hope the wind holds back a bit for the dust.
                - I was thinking about putting my old girl GS in again ( did last year- didnt win prizes but who cares it was a fun anyway.)

This year bike is no longer a classic, it is now an antique and in 5 years time will be a vintage. spoke with the one bloke says bigger tent ect ect.

My uncle always puts in what he says are "proper bikes"- (BSA, Norton ect), but the judges have a hard time with him as they all have the same number plate and current reg papers)-- its a long story and if you understand the way the traffic department doesn't work it all makes sense; the purists always gass him about it!

yes Im sure we can put some pics up for you other blokes from around the world to see.

Comment

Working...
                X