Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Grips Don't Fit

I bought these grips.

They don't even think about grabbing the handle bars. Should they not at least be snug or am I missing something?

The ad doesn't have very much information, such as what diameter handlebars they are for. Some bigger cruisers, such as Harley's, use 1" handlebars, whereas our bikes take 7/8". Maybe that seller shipped you the wrong size? I'd measure them and ask for your money back, particularly if they are 1".
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      The ad doesn't have very much information, such as what diameter handlebars they are for. Some bigger cruisers, such as Harley's, use 1" handlebars, whereas our bikes take 7/8". Maybe that seller shipped you the wrong size? I'd measure them and ask for your money back, particularly if they are 1".

If he'd asked what size since the ad didnt say and the seller responded with an answer different than what he shipped he could ask for a refund.
      Otherwise he's stuck with em.
      sigpic

82 GS850
      78 GS1000
      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
      .................________-|___\____
      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

These grips should fit.

I had these Exact grips on my gs650.

Here's the catch....I think they make 'em in 1 Inch an 7/8's.

You might have 1" instead of the 7/8's....

Because mine were a pain to get off!

They should be extremely tight and you'll probably be cursing a lot while wrestling them on. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
          If he'd asked what size since the ad didnt say and the seller responded with an answer different than what he shipped he could ask for a refund.
          Otherwise he's stuck with em.
          I'm not stuck with them.. The ad clearly says fits all GS models.. Even specifically mentions my model in the title.

Comment

The grips should be two different sizes a one inch for the added size to fit over the throttle tube and a 7/8 inch for the clutch side. I would ask for a refund since he states in the listing that they will fit the year you bought them for.

Comment

Originally posted by verboseone View Post
              I'm not stuck with them.. The ad clearly says fits all GS models.. Even specifically mentions my model in the title.

Opps. I missed that part
              Then you should get a refund.
              sigpic

82 GS850
              78 GS1000
              04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
              .................________-|___\____
              ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

They look like the grips I pulled off my '79 GS1000E, too thick and long for me, like holding on to a baseball bat. I also didn't like the way the throttle grip wouldn't mate up snugly to the right hand switch assembly so I went back to stock grips, free's up some finger length to work the levers better and I can get more meat around the stockers.

Maybe these grips come in different sizes, suspect they do.

E-mail the dude, tell him you have a problem and what it is, (hope you haven't left feedback) let him know you haven't left feedback and won't if he takes care of the problem. This generally works for me with E-bayers.

I've managed to build up a collection of unserviceable parts from E-bay that ended up costing me nothing. Especially unserviceable turn signal control units.
                sigpic
                Steve
                "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Dude... They're $10 grips. Who gives a sh-t, buy new ones!

Comment

Originally posted by jnicola View Post
                    Dude... They're $10 grips. Who gives a sh-t, buy new ones!
                    It is the second set I bought. The first set just fit Suzuki . I thought all Suzuki grips where 7/8. When they came to big I figured the newer models might have 1". So I made sure the next listing mentioned my model.

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                      They look like the grips I pulled off my '79 GS1000E, too thick and long for me, like holding on to a baseball bat. I also didn't like the way the throttle grip wouldn't mate up snugly to the right hand switch assembly so I went back to stock grips, free's up some finger length to work the levers better and I can get more meat around the stockers.
                      That issue you had with the right grip is easily solved by trimming a bevel on the inner portion of the grip. If you trim conservatively you can make it fit like a factory grip.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudeman View Post
                        That issue you had with the right grip is easily solved by trimming a bevel on the inner portion of the grip. If you trim conservatively you can make it fit like a factory grip.
                        I thought I could easily make 'em fit with a little grinding wheel once I got the grip off the throttle tube, but I really had a hard time hanging on wide open throttle, so big around, was hard to get a good grip on the grip, so I decided to go back to stock, so much better for me.
                        sigpic
                        Steve
                        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

The seller has made everything right. Thanks!

This was my first bike. These where the grips that came on it. Figured I'd stick with what I knew. Nessism sent me some factory grips and I will try them out for a while.

Comment

Working...
                          X