Starter o-ring leak suspected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter o-ring leak suspected

My '80 1100E is leaking oil from the Mystery Hole under the starter. At high speed my left foot slowly becomes wet with oil. Examination reveals oil in the cavity under the starter and fresh looking oil on the starter. The came chain tensioner is not leaking. Sounds like the starter seal, no?

Anyone know from first hand experience if the starter can be removed without removing the stator cover?

Thanks- Todd

The starter can be removed without removing the stator cover.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

As Tkent indicated, the starter can be removed by removing the starter cover & the 2 mounting bolts underneath. It's tight working under the carbs, but do-able...

I had a similar issue once, but it turned out to be a missing case bolt kinda hidden up underneath near that area - make sure all yours are there first.

Good luck.
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

The hidden case bolt is there. Thanks!

Comment

you want to be careful with the o-ring and grease it. When I struggeled to get the starter in with the carbs installed I cut the o-ring even with grease. I would recommend removal of the carbs to make sure the starter goes in without cutting the o-ring. Of course I had pods .

Comment

Originally posted by VP1 View Post
            The hidden case bolt is there. Thanks!
            Did you get it fixed I had a left foot soaking oil leak last summer . Thought it was the starter oring . Replaced it twice and still leaked . Mine turned out to be the grommet inside the stator cover I put a little sealer on the grommet and it has never leaked since . Not sure how well you know your bike but inside the stator cover the wires run thru a hard plastic grommet that prevents oil from passing by if it does pass by it ends up on your foot and in the starter bay . If you replace your starter oring and it still leaks I would ckeck out that grommet 70GT

Comment

Originally posted by 70GT View Post
              Did you get it fixed I had a left foot soaking oil leak last summer . Thought it was the starter oring . Replaced it twice and still leaked . Mine turned out to be the grommet inside the stator cover I put a little sealer on the grommet and it has never leaked since . Not sure how well you know your bike but inside the stator cover the wires run thru a hard plastic grommet that prevents oil from passing by if it does pass by it ends up on your foot and in the starter bay . If you replace your starter oring and it still leaks I would ckeck out that grommet 70GT

Good point - those grommets get pretty hard over time.

I use some Permatex hi-temp form-a-gasket around mine when I remove/replace my stator covers.
              '85 GS550L - SOLD
              '85 GS550E - SOLD
              '82 GS650GL - SOLD
              '81 GS750L - SOLD
              '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
              '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
              '82 GS1100G - SOLD
              '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by VP1 View Post
                Sounds like the starter seal, no?
                Yes it does. And unless you have a really good source for O-rings, I recommend you order the OEM piece. I tried a handful of "this-ought-to-be-close-enough" parts I found locally that only caused frustration...too big to fit back in the hole or too loose to seal.
                sigpic
                1981 Suzuki GS750E (one owner), 1982 Suzuki GS750T (my "tinker" toy), Previous (First) Bike: 1979 GS425 (long gone)
                2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (new to me in 11/2011)

Comment

Haha, I just got back from the local bearing supply place with the closest standard o-rings they had. We'll see how they work. No big deal if they don't, I have OEM ones on the way from my local shop but the'll take a week to arrive and the weekends here

Comment

Tentatively going to call this one fixed. Seems to be holding oil as my foot is staying dry.

Next up, those o-rings in the head that leak onto the front of the engine

Comment

Working...
                    X