Starter issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter issues

Hello, I have a 1982 gs450 And I'm having issues with the starter. once and awhile when I start it and when I let go of the button it keeps turning over. Just replace the starter solenoid any ideas?

Originally posted by Z3r0x7 View Post
    Hello, I have a 1982 gs450 And I'm having issues with the starter. once and awhile when I start it and when I let go of the button it keeps turning over. Just replace the starter solenoid any ideas?
    Your starter button needs cleaning and/or it has a weak spring causing it to stick. Fix soon,as it might not unstick sometime !
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I just replaced it, like a month ago because I didn't have one before..

Comment

I just replaced it, like a month ago because I didn't have one before..
        So you replaced the whole right hand assembly, or just the button? Used? You said you replaced solenoid also. Anyways, if button only sticks once in a while,whether new or used, it still requires disassmbly.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Whack the solenoid a couple times. It can get stuck.

Nic
          83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

Seems like the new solenoid is working fine now. it did it once but has not happened again. I will watch it for the next week and see whats going on

Comment

If the solenoid is used, gently take the top off and pull it apart, just a bit

Spray electrical cleaner all around in there and check the condition of the contacts

They do get gummed up over time
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Ok, so... Im still haveing the issue... The solenoid is bandnew never used. I dont know if its the stater switch becuase I was driveing last night I come to a red light and all of a sudden it dies and keeps trying to turn over again without even pushing it. Anymore ideas? could it be the starter motor?

Comment

Ok, so... Im still haveing the issue... The solenoid is bandnew never used. I dont know if its the stater switch becuase I was driveing last night I come to a red light and all of a sudden it dies and keeps trying to turn over again without even pushing it. Anymore ideas? could it be the starter motor?
                  The bike died at the red light, and the the starter automatically cranked? Wow, I don't see how you could have messed up wiring new solenoid up and have this problem only at random times, so I'm sticking with a faulty starter button/wiring in right switch-you know the one that you were holding when the bike suddenly died (bad kill switch wiring also?)
                  1981 gs650L

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                    The bike died at the red light, and the the starter automatically cranked? Wow, I don't see how you could have messed up wiring new solenoid up and have this problem only at random times, so I'm sticking with a faulty starter button/wiring in right switch-you know the one that you were holding when the bike suddenly died (bad kill switch wiring also?)

This bike is a bit of a mess.. I was looking at some of the wireing and what I saw was that the starter relay is connected to the two turn signal cables. And whats weird is that the two wires for the turn signals have to be touching for the starter relay to work. Does this sound right or no?

Comment

This bike is a bit of a mess.. I was looking at some of the wireing and what I saw was that the starter relay is connected to the two turn signal cables. And whats weird is that the two wires for the turn signals have to be touching for the starter relay to work. Does this sound right or no?
                      Head to Basscliff's site and find a wiring diagram- you might be misreading the wires, but obviously the turn signal circuit has nothing to do with the starter circuit. Best to pull tank, and go exploring the wiring world of suzuki.
                      1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                      X