Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

oil leaking from tach/speedo cabe housing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil leaking from tach/speedo cabe housing?

I got my bike back together and rode it around for a little bit today. After i parked it i noticed oil all over the front of the engine and it appeared to be coming from the housing on the front of the engine where the tach/speedo cable.goes onto the head.

Is it possible for oil to even leak from this housing or is it coming from another area and i just haven't seen it yet? It does appear that the cable sheath is separating from the end of the cable and i assume it will need replaced eventually.

The bike is a stock 1980 GS850.

Yup it can leak.
    There is a seal involved. But you should be abot to unbolt the part and remove it for inspection.

Comment

if the sheath is separating from the cable end do I need to just replace the cable, or woll it function normally?

Comment

Not sure if there is a plastic shroud underneath the vinyl one.

If it is just wrapped metal then it will likely allow water in and cause wear of the cable.

Did you possibly over lube your cable?

Comment

Brian published this excellent guide to tach cable seal replacement several years ago.
          sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

The tach drive is sealed from the engine The loose housing will not cause a leak

Comment

I've got same prob- only now I started my bike and the tach did nothing- I checked the cable and it has completely come out and I can't screw it back into the engine. Am I screwed?
              Figures its 2:13 am and I have this happen 30 minutes from home. Fml

Comment

Originally posted by ArtByScars View Post
                I've got same prob- only now I started my bike and the tach did nothing- I checked the cable and it has completely come out and I can't screw it back into the engine. Am I screwed?
                Figures its 2:13 am and I have this happen 30 minutes from home. Fml
                Got it back in after a lot of fiddling.. what a pain of a spot that is in a low light situation. Should I replace the cable? It seems fine now but what an annoyance if that happens again..

Comment

Sounds like the problem is with the tach drive seals, not the cable. There are two o-rings in there. Cheap and easy to replace.

Comment

Working...
                  X