Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain install and grease removal

Hello all,
    Im installing a new set of sprockets and x-ring chain on my 88 450 today and I was wondering if i should clean the grease (or wax, or whatever this whitish stuff the chain is covered in) off the chain before installation.
    Im assuming you dont, because the master link comes with a little packet of it kind of indicating that you put it on after installation.
    Also, if I dont have to clean it off, how long should I wait till cleaning it and relubing it (i use aerosol chain wax for the lube) if I should wait at all.
    Thanks

fit it as it is, it is the factory lubricant, lube it again after about 500 miles or earlier if it looks a bit dry
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

thanks much! exactly what i needed to know.

Comment

i hate chain wax and all the branded lubes in a can.... i always use a rag to wipe it down and then use some thick engine oil to lube it... you'll be amazed how long it lasts. it's easier to wipe clean, doesn't attract all the dirt, dust and other rubbish like the waxes do and looks/feels newer for longer.... obviously no need to oil when it's new but as time goes by.... give it a go rather than the over priced sprays everyone seems to buy nowadays

Comment

Working...
        X