Fuel cap lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel cap lock

I am the proud new owner of an 85 GS450L. I received the bike for a great price (free), and with that price I get an equivalent amount of 'customer service' from the previous owner (no idea how to get in touch). I just emptied the carbs, bought and charged a new battery (the old one was sulfated), and removed the gas tank to drain, when I realized that I cannot seem to open the gascap. I may be missing something extremely simple here, but as I don't want to break anything I am being gentle with it. I'm including a picture of the cap and my key. The key works for both the ignition and the helmet locks, and fits in the gas cap lock, so I assumed it is used for this as well. I was given no other keys. Does this style cap usually come keyed to the same key as the ignition? Am I missing something incredibly stupid? The lock was very stiff at first, but with a small bit of WD40 I can insert the key easily, but can't turn it. I am fairly certain that this is the original gas tank, and assume that it is the original cap as well. Thanks!

Originally posted by gtg556h View Post
    I am the proud new owner of an 85 GS450L. I received the bike for a great price (free), and with that price I get an equivalent amount of 'customer service' from the previous owner (no idea how to get in touch). I just emptied the carbs, bought and charged a new battery (the old one was sulfated), and removed the gas tank to drain, when I realized that I cannot seem to open the gascap. I may be missing something extremely simple here, but as I don't want to break anything I am being gentle with it. I'm including a picture of the cap and my key. The key works for both the ignition and the helmet locks, and fits in the gas cap lock, so I assumed it is used for this as well. I was given no other keys. Does this style cap usually come keyed to the same key as the ignition? Am I missing something incredibly stupid? The lock was very stiff at first, but with a small bit of WD40 I can insert the key easily, but can't turn it. I am fairly certain that this is the original gas tank, and assume that it is the original cap as well. Thanks!

I don't see your pics. but yeah, you would expect things keyed alike. Does gas cap have inscribed arrow facing forward? Try pushing down on cap as you attempt to turn key clockwise- wiggle!
    Assume nothing! Did you know how long it has sat? any expired tags?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Is there a 3-digit number stamped onto the gas cap lock cylinder? You can check that against your key. Rustybronco recently posted the procedure for removing the lock cylinder. I couldn't get it to work on mine at first but I still have to revisit that (I have a 2nd key because I bought a replacement gas cap, would like to swap the cylinders to make them match again).

Comment

Thanks for the responses! There is no 3 digit number on the lock, and the cap does have an arrow pointed forward. I have not had luck pushing down and turning (or wiggling). The bike was well maintained for many years, and then was bought and neglected for about 10 months. It was given to me by said neglector. That link to change the lock may prove very valuable, should I manage to get mine open once to begin with!

Comment

It's probably a replacement cap he got from somewhere that takes another key. Maybe a locksmith could pick it, especially if he had your other key to look at. If you ever get it off, you could order a key off Ebay
          1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
          1983 GS 1100 G
          2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
          2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
          1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
            It's probably a replacement cap he got from somewhere that takes another key. Maybe a locksmith could pick it, especially if he had your other key to look at. If you ever get it off, you could order a key off Ebay
            Take tank off and bring to competent locksmith - he'll have no problem!
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Welcome to the forums! Not sure how I missed your first post... always good seeing another 450 pop up

+1 on take it to a locksmith, they definitely should be keyed the same normally, but who knows what PO issues lurk...
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

That link to change the lock may prove very valuable, should I manage to get mine open once to begin with!
                If you can get the lock cylinder out with the cap on the bike, you can just swap in another cylinder with a known key. No need to get it open first. You'll probably be able to open the cap with just hand tools too if the cylinder is out.

Comment

Before you take to a locksmith or bugger up the cap do the following:

Use PB Blaster or penetrating oil (WD40 is not very effective) and insert key to hold open the cover piece and spray a good dose down into the lock, wiggle the key a little, leave key in lock, let sit for an hour and repeat, let sit overnight.
                  Now you can carefully apply a little more force without bending or breaking the key. I've done this for 2 or 3 gas caps that have been sitting for years and all frozen up beyond belief....BE patient and it's an easier process than wasting time having a new key made that may be the same as what you have.
                  You can also check the 3 digit number on the gas cap and see if it matches the 3 digit # on the helmet or seat lock. If it does then a new key is just going to be the same and a waste of time.
                  Trust me this has worked multiple times for me!... you may play it safe and get a duplicate of the key you have for $3 before trying in case you're too heavy handed and break the key. It's cheaper than $25 and up for a locksmith to make a new key and pulling the ignition off to bring him!!! You'll always need a spare key anway.

Comment

Working...
                  X