Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Noob introduction, his mistakes, and hopefully your remedy?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noob introduction, his mistakes, and hopefully your remedy?!

Hi All,

I recently bought my first motorcycle (80 GS550E) and took it from flyin down old county highways to not running at all and was hoping to get some feedback for a remedy to my problem.

First let me say that this is all a result of me being a noob. I got the bike in top condition, and it ran beautifully for a month...until I started messin with it.

The bike came with a 4 into 1 exhaust, not sure of the exact make but the original owner said his son put a yoshi exhaust on it, and there were also yoshimura stickers on the side panels. The exhaust part just slips onto the 4 into 1 header(theres no clamps or screws or welds). Coming from a fuel injected automotive background, I took out the silencer in the exhaust and the lid to the airbox(dumb to think it would breathe easier) right before a 100mile ride. Then came the sputtering, backfiring, flat spots and random loss of power. So I know its running way to lean, so I put the airbox cover back on and run some errands with it. It wont hold an idle and sputters out at stoplights unless I hold the throttle. I put some gas in her and bring her home. The next day I put the silencer back in the exhaust and go to fire it up, but it wont start. Then I found this website and realized the error of my ways.

Electrical all works fine, battery is new, and I get spark on all plugs. When I press start i hear the chicka chicka chicka chicka chicka chicka of a strong stater trying to spark but it just seems there is no fuel delivery?!?

I know that I need to rebuild the carbs, get new intake o rings, replace the petcock, get new plugs/wires all as preventative measures.
    With saying all this I have two main questions I was hoping to get answered...

1) Is there a short term fix so I can at least have my transportation back? Maybe something with the petcock not delivering fuel? How do I check fuel delivery from a vacuum operated petcock? Any other possible short-term fixes?

2)If there is no other option and I have to do a carb rebuild, can you give any rejetting advice? I would run the same exhaust(4 into 1 header with a slip on 2.5" diam s bend pipe thats 2ft long) without silcencer and either k&n pods or velocity stacks.

Any help to get my knees back in the wind is greatly appreciated. Thanks yall!

p.s. there is also a mystery oil leak in this equation. it looks like its coming from the oil pan but i cant pinpoint it.

As all you did was remove the silencer and the air box lid, I would check to make sure the lid is sealed properly. And I assume there is a filter in there. These bikes don't run worth a c**p without a properly sealed box with filter. Also check you didn't pinch off the breather hoses that come out from under the tank. Basscliff will be along shortly with much better advice. Good luck
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Comment

Any jetting suggestions for a straight pipe are pointless.

Partly because straight pipes don't belong on the street, and partly because they are so variable that any suggestion would be useless.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

it's hard to say what you did when you start with a good running bike and reduce it to a nonrunning state

Did you pull off any hoses? Like the vacuum line from the #2 carb to the petcock?

Is there gas in your carbs? Pull a drain bolt and see
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Vacuum hose to carb 2 is still in place. I'll go try and find a drain bolt now and see if there is gas in the carbs.

Steve, loud pipes save lives! Hahaha Im using that exhaust because Im broke and its pretty sweet. Ballpark range at all?

Comment

Originally posted by 1/4Moon View Post
            Steve, loud pipes save lives! Hahaha Im using that exhaust because Im broke and its pretty sweet. Ballpark range at all?
            Let's just say that I'm glad that I'm 2500 miles away and can just barely hear you.

Ballpark range? Not from me.

I am quite likely to suggest a wrong size, you just won't know if it was accidental or intentional.
            sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I spend quite a bit of my spare time trying to help people fix their bikes here. When I hear they are running an open exhaust though I just click out.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
              X