Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie question -- throttle stuck open?

Howdy.

Just picked up my first motorcycle, a 1978 GS400, about a week ago. Today I had my first problem with it -- the throttle got stuck open about two miles from my house. The throttle grip snaps back in place nicely so I guess it's stuck open at the other end of the cable.

I'm pretty green w/mechanic work and would love some tips on how to fix this. Thanks!

Take it apart. See whats wrong. Fix it. Put it back together. Ride it!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by JShapiro View Post
      Howdy.

Just picked up my first motorcycle, a 1978 GS400, about a week ago. Today I had my first problem with it -- the throttle got stuck open about two miles from my house. The throttle grip snaps back in place nicely so I guess it's stuck open at the other end of the cable.

I'm pretty green w/mechanic work and would love some tips on how to fix this. Thanks!
      That always makes for an exciting ride! Does this bike still have two cables coming out of throttle grip- one pulls one way (opens throttle), the other pulls back (hopefully closes throttle) ? Best to remove gas tank and follow cables to carbs to make sure everything is still attached.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        That always makes for an exciting ride! Does this bike still have two cables coming out of throttle grip- one pulls one way (opens throttle), the other pulls back (hopefully closes throttle) ? Best to remove gas tank and follow cables to carbs to make sure everything is still attached.
        Yep, it's got two cables. It's a bit hard to see under the tank, but it looks as if everything is still attached.

The throttle got stuck open as I was approaching a stop sign. I came to a stop w/the clutch in and it was still revving at 4k. I pulled off the road, killed the engine, turned it back on, and it steadily climbed from about 1k to 4k rpms. Then I poked at the throttle cables where they attach to whatever pivoting part is it that they attach to.

That seemed to fix it, although nothing visibly came un-stuck. I was able to ride home fine but don't know if I should ride it again as is. Do y'all think this could happen again?

Comment

Yep, it's got two cables. It's a bit hard to see under the tank, but it looks as if everything is still attached.

The throttle got stuck open as I was approaching a stop sign. I came to a stop w/the clutch in and it was still revving at 4k. I pulled off the road, killed the engine, turned it back on, and it steadily climbed from about 1k to 4k rpms. Then I poked at the throttle cables where they attach to whatever pivoting part is it that they attach to.

That seemed to fix it, although nothing visibly came un-stuck. I was able to ride home fine but don't know if I should ride it again as is. Do y'all think this could happen again?

Yes it will happen again.
          Disassemble and lube the cable.
          It may be worn and chafing in the tube.
          It may be that your routing is causing or at least contributing to the issue.

My bet its bone dry and mucky inside.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Take it apart. See whats wrong. Fix it. Put it back together. Ride it!
            helpful as usual to a newbie
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Search the forum for "hanging idle"; could be caused by air leaks that are intermittent or heat related. But you definitely need to take a look at the mechanism and make sure it moves smoothly and is not binding. Check your cable routing vs. the manual.

Once I tightened up one of my intake boots and the screw stuck out just enough to occasionally hit the throttle mech until I moved it.

Comment

My thought was air leak too. Very common problem.

What we have here is a 33 year old motorcycle desperately in need of maintenance. A hanging idle, or binding throttle cable are just the tip of the iceberg. Makes me wonder when was the last time the valves were adjusted, carbs cleaned and synced, etc.

The only way to assure the bike is going to be reliable, and not destroy itself though neglect, is to go though the service manual maintenance schedule and take care of everything. A lot of work, but necessary.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  My thought was air leak too. Very common problem.

What we have here is a 33 year old motorcycle desperately in need of maintenance. A hanging idle, or binding throttle cable are just the tip of the iceberg. Makes me wonder when was the last time the valves were adjusted, carbs cleaned and synced, etc.

The only way to assure the bike is going to be reliable, and not destroy itself though neglect, is to go though the service manual maintenance schedule and take care of everything. A lot of work, but necessary.
                  I bought the bike from a mechanic and he said that very recently (i.e. this year) he'd cleaned and sync'ed the carbs and checked valve clearance and found it to be good. In fact, he did a lot of work to it and told me all maintenance was up to date.

I'll work on cleaning the cables for the throttle. Also I'll check the forum for hanging idle threads.

And thank you all for your prompt and helpful responses.

Comment

I bought the bike from a mechanic and he said that very recently (i.e. this year) he'd cleaned and sync'ed the carbs and checked valve clearance and found it to be good. In fact, he did a lot of work to it and told me all maintenance was up to date.

I'll work on cleaning the cables for the throttle. Also I'll check the forum for hanging idle threads.

And thank you all for your prompt and helpful responses.

People lie. I am nto saying this fellow did but...........
                    People lie. Or sometime labour under mis-aprehensions.

The only way you can no for sure is to run throught the magic list ont he mega welcome.

My money is on stuck gummed up cable. Esp if it has only done it once.

Comment

Read a few 'hanging idle' threads and saw someone mention that the old GS bikes will idle really high if the choke is left on. I've been leaving the choke on for a good while after starting the bike up since it has a really hard time not dying when I come to a stop. Could this have something to do with it?

I can't remember 100% but I'm fairly certain the choke was on. This happened about 2 miles from my house, so about 5 minutes of riding give or take.

Comment

Yes!

The "choke" on the GSes is actually a "fuel enrichment circuit". Turning it on feeds the bike an enrichened fuel/air mixture. Yes, it can idle VERY high with the choke full on. The choke is not a "on or off" device, you can turn it down. When I first start my bike in hot weather the choke will be 1/2 to 3/4, and as it warms up and starts revving I'll turn it down to keep it around 1500-2000 RPM. Usually it's just a sliver left when I pull away, and I turn that off after a minute or so.

Comment

If your bike can't idle when warm without the choke, you're running lean and need to get to the bottom of that.

Comment

My choke lever is all or nothing -- all it has are 2 positions, on or off.

How long after I get the bike started should I be able to turn off the choke and have it idle on it's own w/out dying?

Comment

If you watch the choke rail on top of the carbs when you actuate the lever, you should see it slide the chokes in and out of the carbs. It says ON and OFF on the top but there is some variability to it. You should be able to push the rail with your finger to get a feel for how much spring is there.

How long to leave the choke on is entirely dependent on temperature, humidity, etc... I generally turn mine down or off when the revs start to climb, but I'm a bad GS owner and haven't done my valve adjust yet so that could be part of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X