GS1100E Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100E Question

Hi all, going to look at an 80 1100E this weekend that I may be able to get a decent deal on. Any particular model specifics to look for, problem areas, etc besides the normal. Thanks in advance. Bike has 20K miles

Originally posted by Loki View Post
    Bike has 20K miles
    20K in thirty one years. Look for a lot of clogged up and rusted stuff.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      20K in thirty one years. Look for a lot of clogged up and rusted stuff.
      Sometimes, not always. I wouldn't discourage him from taking a look, if the price is right. Have a look at the Stator Papers here on the site, and perhaps bring a multimeter along to check for charging issues etc.
      '82 GS1100E

Comment

Just because the battery light is on in the guage cluster, doesn't mean there is an issue. The original battery had a sensor that you pushed into the battery and a lot of people don't bother getting the right battery/lose the sensor so the light stays on all the time. The right battery can be real expensive, or if you go with a sealed battery it eliminates the sensor. I was able to find a regular wet battery with a sensor that wasn't outrageous and the sensor can be used in any regular wet battery as it just replaces one of the screw caps. Can't for the life of me remember where I got it, but it was online and has lasted 4? years. I want to say it was a parts unlimited battery that I got off ebay. I like the "idiot guage" cluster as it lets me know when the battery needs a topping off, or if one of my lights is out. If you search there are other ways of makeing the light go out.

I think that's the only real oddball thing specific to the '80s that might scare off a potential buyer.

Well, that and the spedo only goes up to 85,they have square headlights, and the petcock has no valve.

Great bikes, but I might be biased.

Comment

Working...
        X