I want to change my own tires, HELP---harbor freight tire changer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to change my own tires, HELP---harbor freight tire changer

who else has the harbor freight tire changer?--im thinking bout getting one---do they work well and what are the tricks? do i really need the motorcycle wheel attachment

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...-changers.html

looks like they no longer sell them---anyone know where i can get one for around the 50 bucks price?----all other ones like it that i find are bout 90 bucks, plus another 60 for the motorcycle wheel attachment---but once again i suck at googling

what other methods can i get this done on my own

thanks in advance

I have one. It really needs to be bolted down to a platform that you can stand on to stabilize it -otherwise pulling the levers will make it tip over. Also, the pry bar that comes with it is crummy, and the metal rim holders will deeply scratch your wheels.

The fix is to get a set of mojo blocks, which are plastic wheel holders, and a one of mojo's or no-mar's pry bars. Then it will be a pleasure to change your own tires.

Don't forget you also have to balance the wheel once the tire is on, and a good balancer is another $100.

I have three bikes, so buying online and changing my own is definitely worth the investment.

Comment

I used my HF tire changer to seriously scratch 3 rims. Changed the tires while I was at it. Bought a cycle hill version, but haven't changed a tire since then.

The HF one is $50 + $50 for the motorcycle adapter. Then ~$20 bucks for the heavy plywood to bolt it to. You can have mine for $50 if you want to come get it.

Comment

thanks yall---i may think about trying to get yours atonic--ill let you know (would be a long trip though)-------thanks for the info fireman bob, i read other posts where you need the mojo blocks--but i was hoping there was a way of doing it without getting the motorcycle attachment-----ive found pretty much the same changer on ebay with the attachment for like 160---how much are the mojo blocks and the no-mar pry bar?

ive got a balancer where i work so no problem there and i will be using this thing on 4 motorcycles and a scooter-so yeah i think it will be worth the investment.

thanks for the replies-----anyone near nashville want to get rid of their changer?throw a price at me

Comment

If you have a truck with a tow hitch, you might consider modifying your tire changer to mount to that, easy to get plenty of leverage when you are yanking on a 4k lbs + vehicle.

As for scooter tires, I did mine with an old set of small spoons, no machine needed. However doing the GS tires required me and a friend, sweating and cursing for an hour. Worthwhile to pay the $20/ tire to me

Comment

I cut my old tires off with a saw and Mr. Steve mounted my new ones for me with nothing more than a couple pretty good size tire spoons. Balancing was performed with two jack stands. No need to spend all that money.
            Current Bikes:
            2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
              I cut my old tires off with a saw and Mr. Steve mounted my new ones for me with nothing more than a couple pretty good size tire spoons. Balancing was performed with two jack stands. No need to spend all that money.
              Yup...I've changed many tires with a good set of tire irons...

('course these days I have a friend with a No-Mar set up...)
              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

thanks ddaniels--i was thinking of going the spoon route myself---which spoons should i get and how many 2 or 3?---can i get the cheap 7 dollar spoons from northern or harbor freight--or do i leed the 30 dollar long daddy ones--thanks in advance

Comment

Here's how I do it -- you don't need a machine. You only need simple tools, a way to hold the wheel securely and safely, and the patience to develop a few simple skills.

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I use three irons, two short ones and one long one, my knees and baby powder.
                    sigpic

82 GS850
                    78 GS1000
                    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                    .................________-|___\____
                    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by esj001 View Post
                      thanks yall---i may think about trying to get yours atonic--ill let you know (would be a long trip though)-------thanks for the info fireman bob, i read other posts where you need the mojo blocks--but i was hoping there was a way of doing it without getting the motorcycle attachment-----ive found pretty much the same changer on ebay with the attachment for like 160---how much are the mojo blocks and the no-mar pry bar?

ive got a balancer where i work so no problem there and i will be using this thing on 4 motorcycles and a scooter-so yeah i think it will be worth the investment.

thanks for the replies-----anyone near nashville want to get rid of their changer?throw a price at me
                      You don't need the motorcycle attachment. Mine's been in the corner of the garage for years.
                      I have a 3/4-inch bar that I insert in the middle of the vertical center tube of the HF tire changer.... works like a charm!
                      Add Mojo blocks along with the Mojo bar ... and you are ready for some tire changing!
                      2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (it's gone)
                      1985 Suzuki Madura GV1200
                      2 X 1980 Suzuki GSX1100ETs (next project
                      s)

Comment

Thanks bwringer for that link--GOOD STUFF that should be the info i was wanting--i knew yall would show me the road

Comment

Great info and links guys. I'm sick and tired of paying a shop to change out my tires. I'll grab some tire irons and next time do it myself.
                          Rob
                          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

....my knees and baby powder. Bet you do a lot of things on your knees, dont you!!!
                            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Rob....did the side cover emblems arrive? Never got returned here yet.
                              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                              X