I want to change my own tires, HELP---harbor freight tire changer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
    Here's how I do it -- you don't need a machine. You only need simple tools, a way to hold the wheel securely and safely, and the patience to develop a few simple skills.

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/tire-changing.html
    +1, on balancing.

In my experience, dismounting is far easier than mounting the new tires. A person with the skills and equipment to quickly mount tires amazes me.
    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

I have watched and assisted bwringer on several tire changes. His tools are simple and inexpensive; the tire irons he uses are very versatile and far better than the simple spoons I used to use. IMHO, the irons, along with his unique method of breaking the bead, are the key to smooth changes.
      Balancing is also easy and inexpensive; it is entirely possible I have been on more than one bwringer-balanced set of tires in the triple-digit zone with rock-steady performance.

Comment

thanks Quexpress--i didnt think you had to have that dang attachment,, if i go that route thats what i will do

i think i will try the old spoon method with some rim protectors

what would you guys suggest for holding the wheel in place while im wrastlin the tire on and off?

---is there something i can build that will do the job well?--i have access to a large vise--if this is covered in bwringers link i apologize, i havent read it all yet

what should i use for rim protectors--piece of garden or heater hose? or is there something better?

any special tricks for tube tires?

just read the bwringer link----wow all my questions answered pretty much--this is great

thanks again to everybody
        Last edited by Guest; 07-21-2011, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
          ....my knees and baby powder. Bet you do a lot of things on your knees, dont you!!!
          Your reference to homosexual activity kinda worries me.
          We know what's on your mind..
          sigpic

82 GS850
          78 GS1000
          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
          .................________-|___\____
          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by esj001 View Post
            what should i use for rim protectors--piece of garden or heater hose? or is there something better?
            Get a gallon of Tropicana orange juice, enjoy the contents, then cut up the plastic bottle into nice sized panels that will slide down between the rim and tire.

Comment

The longer the spoons the better. I had a couple short ones (about 6" long) that were pretty uselss. But Steve had a couple longer ones (somewhere around a foot long - correct me if I'm wrong Steve) that made the job so much easier. Plus, if you use them correctly, you won't marr up the edge of the wheel.
              Current Bikes:
              2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

I used a couple jumbo Flathead screwdrivers that I had laying around.

I cut up an old ABS container for my rim protectors....
                (worked great, plenty thick)

I also found a tool for More leverage.... a 1/4" thick iron piece of Flat laying around...maybe 16" long.
                (We were going to make a big ol' throwing knife out of it, so it had the basic shape, and the pointed edge was smooth, NOT sharp, so it worked absolutely perfect.)

Oh and DONT forget the soap+water!
                You don't have to use a spray bottle, just drip some Dawn dish soap on a shop towel or something, then soak it in some water real fast.
                You only need it to ensure the bead "pops" when you fill the tire with air later on.(plus it makes the tire easier to slip on.)

Comment

Working...
                X