stripped oil drain plug hole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stripped oil drain plug hole

Yup I went to change the oil and when I went to replace the plug by hand with just the socket I realized the plug hole was stripped. There had been a wire on the plug that was in the threads (previous owner mod?) that had been helping keep the plug in.

Darn!!!!

how do I properly fix this?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Replace the pan, Helicoil, or try an over sized self tapping plug. 14mm spark plug size
    Last edited by Guest; 07-21-2011, 01:59 AM.

Comment

I had the same issue on my 850, what I went with was an oversized "piggyback" plug. That way once the new plug is threaded in I never have to remove that and only use the small one in the middle.

something like this:

Comment

What kind of bike?

Oversize drain plug works well and many members here have reported positive experiences.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Oil drain hole...

Take the time and take your oil pan off the bike. Go to a trusted bike shop or machine shop and have them install a steel thread insert. The insert may have a slight lip inside the pan, Take a file or dremel tool and cut a couple slots in it down even with the pan, this will let all the old oil drain out fine. Then all you have to do is get a new plug with a copper crush washer. No more worries about stripping out your drain plug again. I've tried the oversize self tapping plugs, those are only a band aid for a short time. This procedure is a permanent fix. I did this to my 80 GS750ET works great.
          Last edited by mrbill5491; 07-21-2011, 11:28 AM. Reason: Needed to add a couple things.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I always did the oversize thing. The proper repair is to take the pan off and take it to a shop and get either welded or coiled, but the cost vs benefit just isn't there.

Comment

thanks for all of the advice. I was guessing at all the cost of the repair and figure it wouldn't be much cheaper than a new old stock oil pan off of ebay. So I bought one this morning for $80 and it should be here in a few days

and for the guy that asked the bike is a 1983 GS1100E

thanks again guys!

Comment

Benefit is there.

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
                I always did the oversize thing. The proper repair is to take the pan off and take it to a shop and get either welded or coiled, but the cost vs benefit just isn't there.
                Sorry the cost benefit is there, cost me $40 for it to be done. Now no worries for stripping it out again.
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Didn't want to create a new thread... I hope it's ok that I'm resurrecting such an old one!

I also just stripped mine... Is this fine?
                  Oil Drain Plug Oversize M14-1.50 S.O., Head Size 18Mm

If so, I don't have a grinder... How could I go about shortening it?

Also, apparently I'm supposed to apply grease to the bolt before putting it in to prevent aluminum shavings from entering the oil pan? What kind of grease should I use?
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-18-2012, 02:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterOh View Post
                    Didn't want to create a new thread... I hope it's ok that I'm resurrecting such an old one!

I also just stripped mine... Is this fine?

If so, I don't have a grinder... How could I go about shortening it?

Also, apparently I'm supposed to apply grease to the bolt before putting it in to prevent aluminum shavings from entering the oil pan? What kind of grease should I use?
                    I recently used one like that, got it from my local Napa, it was cheap. You shouldnt need to shorten it. When I did mine, I started to turn in the bolt before all of the oil drained out, then when i pulled it out, there was plenty more oil coming out to wash any bits of alu out the hole.

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the feedback

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                        Sorry the cost benefit is there, cost me $40 for it to be done. Now no worries for stripping it out again.
                        I agree. This is easy for them and some shops are very reasonable. I worried about using an oversized plug and screwing up so I took it to a local machine shop. They put in a NAPA version of a TimeSert for $35 total. They made sure it was flush with the inside of the pan. It's peace of mind knowing I have a permanent fix done right. Good luck either way.
                        Erik

1982 GS550M

Dyna S, Dyna greens, coil relay mod w/LED, Sonic Springs (.90)

Comment

Quick update, I went with installing this oversized plug:

A quick question:
                          The plug is quite a bit longer than my old one. Is that something to worry about at all?

Also:
                          The plug came with a crappy plastic crush washer. My old washer won't fit on this oversized one. What size am I supposed to get? Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by MisterOh View Post
                            Quick update, I went with installing this oversized plug:

A quick question:
                            The plug is quite a bit longer than my old one. Is that something to worry about at all?

Also:
                            The plug came with a crappy plastic crush washer. My old washer won't fit on this oversized one. What size am I supposed to get? Thank you
                            You can use the nylon washer. I had the same concerns about the length so I ran the plug in to cut the threads then pulled it out and used my bench grinder to shorten the bolt.

Comment

I like the idea of trying an oversized drain plug for my 1100E, but where do you find them and what size will I need to buy?

Comment

Working...
                              X