Is this a bad steering head bearing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this a bad steering head bearing?

When I come to a stop, I can feel the front rock a little, as though the steering head bearing is worn or loose. I don't notice any other symptoms.

Is this it, or should I look for another problem? If it is the steering head bearing, according to the manual it looks like I need to buy two bearings, one for the top and one for the bottom. Is this right? Are the two identical or do I need two different sizes?

Thanks.

Put it on the center stand, weigh down the back end or have a friend lean on it or prop it up under the exhaust so the front wheel is off the ground. See if you can move the front end back and forth. If there's play, there's your issue.

But I'd check your tire pressure too.

Comment

They may just need adjustment ? If the need replacement Check with AllBallsRacing,com
      They sell a complete kit

Comment

You just might want to have a look...

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
          You just might want to have a look...

Daniel
          Daniel, that needs some more paint; the old is peeling off

Comment

Another test is to unweight the front wheel and move the bars from side to side.

If they catch a bit as they cross straight-ahead, your bearings might look like this:

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X