Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vibration/grind from the rear tire/chain??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vibration/grind from the rear tire/chain??

Hi all I got this weird vibration/grinding vibe coming from under my butt. It started as i was coming home from upstate last saturday i was with a passenger, about 30 miles into the trip i noticed what feels like a flat spot or something coming from the back, at first i thought my chain was too loose and it was. After adjusting chain the spot is still there. Its not continuous it feels like there is one spot where something binds, no noises that i can hear, happens in all gears including rolling in neutral as well. my chain although needs to be replaced is not binding and doesn't have any locked links. I took chain off last night spun the wheel by hand and it didn't make any sudden stops or anything granted its not exactly free spinning but i didn't feel any binding in any given spot it was somewhat even all the way around. put the chain back on, on center stand started the bike put it in gear and all was rotating an moving as it should. So it only happens when weight is on it and noticeable at speeds over 10mph.
    What can cause this, wheel bearing? swingarm bushings?

my guess is wheel bearings just need some opinions on what else can cause this.

ps from partshark it appears there are three bearings two 6204 and 6305 is this correct?

Wheel bearings are the likely suspect. Pop the tire off and see if they feel notchy. I don't know how much partsshark is asking for them, but you could probably get them cheaper from a local supplier - they just need the numbers off the old bearings.
    -1980 GS1100 LT
    -1975 Honda cb750K
    -1972 Honda cl175
    - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

thanks yeah i was trying to find some locally but dont even know which stores would normally carry these. Anyone knows who sells bearings in tri-state?

Comment

Bearing supply houses

You're in Brooklyn, there's probably 5 within a few miles of you

When Rob's went bad on his trip, we went down and got a pair for under $14

Places for bearing near Brooklyn, NY
        JRK Bearings Co
        - Place page
        maps.google.com - 1490 Coney Island Avenue, Brooklyn - (718) 692-3032
        North Side Power Transmission
        - Place page
        www.nsptcorp.com - 309 Morgan Avenue, Brooklyn - (718) 782-5800
        Industrial Bearing Tech Inc
        - Place page
        maps.google.com - 1537 59th Street, Brooklyn - (718) 851-4369
        Eagle Bearing & Industrial Supplies
        - Place page
        maps.google.com - 1726 Flatbush Avenue, Brooklyn - (718) 338-8385
        Frank Tracy Division
        - Place page
        maps.google.com - 309 Morgan Avenue, Brooklyn - (718) 384-9627
        Drives & Bearing of Ny Inc
        - Place page
        maps.google.com - 309 Morgan Avenue, Brooklyn - (718) 624-7065
        Acme Power Transmission
        - Place page
        maps.google.com - 578 Broadway, Brooklyn - (718) 387-6946
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

thanks man thats the info i could not find.

Comment

Originally posted by Dodik View Post
            thanks man thats the info i could not find.
            Google - brooklyn + bearings = results
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Did put the bike on the center stand, in neutral and rotate the back wheel by hand to see if the chain does not have a tight spot?
              They don't stretch evenly, so you may set it fine, but turn the wheel and it tightens up and binds in another place.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                Did put the bike on the center stand, in neutral and rotate the back wheel by hand to see if the chain does not have a tight spot?
                They don't stretch evenly, so you may set it fine, but turn the wheel and it tightens up and binds in another place.
                I was thinking this to but he said his chain was loose. Not sure how much chain slack there is and if he checked chain tightness with bike on the ground. I kinda have a similar thing going on and it's my chain.
                1979 GS850G
                2004 SV650N track bike
                2005 TT-R125 pit bike
                LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Another possibility would be that the pads have been removed and replaced back to front.
                  It happened to me once
                  I replaced the pads and ....no more noise
                  sigpicJohn Kat
                  My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
                  GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Yeah i had chain completely off and still wasnt spinning right

Comment

I've head a similar problem ended up repaving chain/sprockets and wheel bearings, problem got solved.

Comment

well i found the bearings which was a pain in the butt, all the places were closed or didnt exist. When i undid the chain rear caliper and basically wheel was loose i spun it again and there were no signs of binding it would actually spin for a good minute before stopping. So next logical thing was to remove front sprocket cover. The teeth are so worn down into the sprocket that when chain gets on it it dips a little and then raised which causes this jumping effect which translates into vibration that i was experiencing. 530 conversion here i come going to order new sprockets and chain today along with the spacer.

c/n front sprocket worn need new chain/sprockets

Comment

Make sure when you replace them that you align the chain correctly, give it proper deflection, and you clean and lube it every 400-600 miles. If you maintain your chain properly it will last a very very long time.
                          If you don't maintain it, it will be junk in a few hundred miles.

Comment

thanks all for the tips and feedback i just ordered this kit and specified to give me at least 116 link chain. what do you think.

Comment

The bearings on my GS1000 are also available at the local tractor repair shop and the Napa parts store, so they are a commonly used size. My chain has developed tight spots. It has lasted three years. I hope I can dog it a little more by reversing it until I can afford a chain conversion.
                              http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
                              X