Caliper Mounting Bolt- worn down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caliper Mounting Bolt- worn down

Started on a front master cylinder/caliper rebuild today, but one of my mounting bolts wouldn't come off (14 mm right?). The shoulder got all worn down, and now it is basically junked. Obviously it was either overtightened or has never been taken off since it rolled off the factory line.

So- any recommendations on how to get this out? The head is still on it but no sockets or wrenches will bite with enough torque to loose this stubborn guy.

After soaking the threads over-night with your favorite penetrating oil...
    You are using a 6-point impact socket and an air gun to get it off, right?

Daniel

Comment

That would be a no on both counts... Used a regular old socket, and apparently have learned my lesson! Would an impact socket work at this point? With the shoulder so destroyed?

Comment

Yes, with a six-point impact socket.

Daniel

Comment

You are using 12 point sockets????Go invest in some real tools,all your projects will thank you!

Comment

Bolt rescued! Turns out one of my friends has a Dewalt impact driver and some nice sockets. With a little PB Blaster to loosen it, a few bangs with a hammer to break it free, and 1 second with the impact driver it came right out.

Of course, at that moment I wasn't ready to do the teardown, so we put it back together with a little anti-seize.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

Comment

Working...
            X