Tach stopped working...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tach stopped working...

I've searched and haven't found the answer, so maybe JeepRusty wont come in here and whine.

My tach stopped working. Originally I thought maybe it was the cable, but it still spins when the engine is started. What is the end of the cable the goes into the tach supposed to look like? If the cable is in fact OK, is there a gear inside the tach that commonly goes bad and is replaceable?

Originally posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    I've searched and haven't found the answer, so maybe JeepRusty wont come in here and whine.

My tach stopped working. Originally I thought maybe it was the cable, but it still spins when the engine is started. What is the end of the cable the goes into the tach supposed to look like? If the cable is in fact OK, is there a gear inside the tach that commonly goes bad and is replaceable?
    IT's a square drive , maybe 3/32 inch flat. You "might" be able to get small screwdriver blade in tach to test drive it with portable drill.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Sometimes the sleeve on the cable gets pulled out and the inner wire is too short to engage the tach.

Comment

The tach spins anticlockwise if you're testing. You'll need to spin it with a drill as you won't be able to turn it fast enough by hand.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Hi,

Search function:

Place your GS general or maintenance related questions in this forum.

Place your 4 cylinder GS engine, drivetrain or clutch related questions in this forum.

Place your GS performance, tuning or mods related questions in this forum.

Place your GS electrical or ignition related questions in this forum.

Place your 2 cylinder GS engine, drivetrain or clutch related questions in this forum.

Those are just a few threads with *my* posts on the subject. I'm sure you can find many more.

The cable end, where it fits into the gauge, is basically a small square shaft. The other end is a slotted knob that fits onto the tab in the tach send gear in the head.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Oddly, it's started working again...

It's a bit jumpy, but it kind of tells me it might be the cable instead of the tach itself? I'm not sure really.

I guess I'll go cheap and buy the cable first, it's original anyways and wont hurt if it is replaced anyhow.

If it's the tach, it'll give me a reason to buy the gauge set I really want, the ones from Dimecity Cycles.

Comment

Oddly, it's started working again...

It's a bit jumpy, but it kind of tells me it might be the cable instead of the tach itself? I'm not sure really.

I guess I'll go cheap and buy the cable first, it's original anyways and wont hurt if it is replaced anyhow.

If it's the tach, it'll give me a reason to buy the gauge set I really want, the ones from Dimecity Cycles.
              The cable could be binding, might try cleaning it and lubricating it with some graphite commonly sold in automotive stores cheap.
              sigpic
              Steve
              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                The cable could be binding, might try cleaning it and lubricating it with some graphite commonly sold in automotive stores cheap.
                Where exactly do I lube it at?

Comment

Where exactly do I lube it at?
                  I do believe that square inner cable will pull out from the outside sleeve.
                  The graphite is a powder sold in a small tube, try to get as much on the cable and in the sleeve and put it back together. Also if you have any radical (too tight) bends in the cable it could bind from that.
                  sigpic
                  Steve
                  "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Working...
                  X